Did the mint make 1975d jefferson Nickels during 1976?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinman1974, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to research this before contacting a dealer i just purchased some coins from online

Here is the situation: i bought a 1976d Jefferson nickel and was sent a 1975d Jefferson nickel. I called to see if they would exchange the coin, etc. i was told "that is what the mint did that year during the Bicentennial". I told him I was unaware of it but would research it and ended the call.. This surprised me, as I was totally unaware of this. I have consulted a few of my numismatic books and have found nothing about this. Additionally I did some on line searching, and again i found nothing. Also I love doing Numismatic research, as I love learning about this wonderful hobby, so I did look where i thought i would find this information, but have not.

Well now I come to the experts, you, the fellow collector who would defiantly know. I do not think that what the dealer said was correct. However am I mistaken or did the dealer give me some new missing information?

I will eagerly await your reply

Kind regards,
    Stan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

According to Red Book they made 'em.....

4. Coinman1974

Yes i looked at the Redbook, it shows a 1976d Jefferson, correct? i am just making sure there is not something I am missing.

Regards,
    Stan

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No they did not. The 1975 date freeze was only for the quarters, halves and dollars. The mint sets for 1975 have 1975 dated cents nickels and dimes in them and bicentennial quarters, halves, and dollars.

6. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

I'm not a collector of nickels however I just googled 1976D Jefferson and they seem to be pretty common. Maybe the dealer misunderstood?
    I'm sure someone will have a better answer for you.

7. Coinman1974

This is a possibility i did not consider.

Regards,
    Stan

8. Coinman1974

Thank you,

I was pretty certain i was not mistaken, but had to make sure as i do not like to put my foot in my mouth, if it can be avoided:)

Regards,
    Stan

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dealers probably thinking that the date freeze was for all the coins issued that year.

What Condor said.....

10. Coinman1974

Thank you everyone for verifying what i believed to be true. i have spoken with the dealer who has said to keep the coin i did get and they will be shipping the correct coin to me right away. However this was only after I explained to him that I had researched the coin to make sure I was not mistaken. he was apologetic and polite.

Nice when these things can resolve so nicely, now I just have to wait for the coin to come in...

Regards,
    Stan

Draft saved Draft deleted