Did somebody paint my coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Jul 8, 2018.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I picked up this Caracalla provincial from Thrace on Ebay a couple years ago. I remember when I got it out of the envelope, I thought the patina had an unusual color and patern on the obverse. I dismissed my concerns for some reason or another until I got it out the other day to do a BD check, and thought...yeah, this looks strange.

Here is the coin.

100_5134.JPG

100_5137.JPG

On the obverse the patina is very strong on the high points weak or stripped off everywhere else. There is also some dirt between the letters of the legend as you can see. If it's paint, it is a tough enamel type paint.

Any suggestions on how to test it without damaging the coin? Or am I just seeing things and don't need to test it at all?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Acetone soak?

chrsmat71 and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It looks good to me, Chris. Some of these Thracian/Moesian provincials from the period just seem to acquire this sort of hard, green, glossy, enamel-like patina. My only complaint is that I haven't figured out how to photograph them well.

This one is from Serdica, the green a little darker than yours but the quality of the surfaces look similar.

Caracalla - Serdica Tyche.jpg

These other two below are the sellers' pics, but in hand the patina and hue of green looks very much like yours.

002775628.jpg
    00Green1952033l.jpg

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Yeah, I think you're right. After looking at coins online, I've even found some that match it pretty darn well in the patina department.

@Kentucky I thought about it, but I don't have any acetone on me. My wife has some nail polish remover, but I know that isn't pure acetone, so I didn't want to use it.

I'll just leave it be.

Thanks for the input!

zumbly likes this.
  6. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Often the best policy!

Cucumbor and chrsmat71 like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Here's something similar, although imperial and not provincial, I have no problem about (naïve maybe...)

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius, Sestertius Rome mint, AD 173
    M ANTONINVS AVG TRP XXVII, Laureate bust of Mercus Aurelius right
    VICT / GERM / IMP VI / COS III / SC in five lines within a laurel wreath
    20,50 gr, 30 mm
    Ref : RCV # 5015, C # 995 (15), RIC #1090
    Ex Besançon Numismatique

Q

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SILPHIUM - Major Patina:

upload_2018-7-9_7-30-37.png
    KYRENAICA Kyrene Æ25 9.6g 250 BCE Diademed Zeus-Ammon r - K-O-I-N-O-N; Silphium plant; monogram SNG Cop 1278 BMC 16-19

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think the patina is natural, if a bit odd - but that adds to the interesting nature of the coin @chrsmat71

chrsmat71 likes this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

chrsmat71 and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted