Did some work for a lady and she paid me with this

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lincoln, May 4, 2016.

1. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

A few years ago I built a fence for a lady and she didn't have sufficient cash to pay me, so she gave me what she had (she said) and supplemented her payment with a 20th Century Type Coin set. I like how the set looks in its case, so I am resisting the urge to crack it open and see if there are mint marks on the Barbers and Libertys. Even if there were their values wouldn't change, based on the years. The Buffalo is a Type II, so I guess it is a 1913-P, don't know why it is displayed with reverse showing. The Ike is a 1971-S (nice). I wonder about the date on the Memorial cent...could it be a 1960 or 1970 small date? The '64 Kennedy and the '71-S Ike have fingerprints and some of the others appear buffed up.

Just realized I took the picture with my phone and can't upload it until the next post.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Attached photo, goes with previous post.

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat. The silver certificate is kind of a mess, and some of the coins seem to have some not great toning on them... BUT, the Roosevelt silver looks like it has possibilities. I can't really tell, because the picture isn't quite good enough.

Whatever this frame is made of is probably contributing to the toning/oxidation of the coins. If you want to keep them in their present state, I'd remove them.

5. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

The Silver Cert is under cellophane so that's why it appears crinkled. I will consider removing them to some other achival-type storage, I do like the way this looks, however.
    Thanks for the reply.

micbraun likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It depends on how much she owed you

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Coins in these displays tend to be whizzed and polished to some degree. I would leave it as is and hang it somewhere ;)

KoinJester and Paul M. like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

We will be waiting for your photos, but out of curiosity I wonder why you think the Buffalo is a 1913 if it is a type II if you cannot see the obverse? I could understand this if it was a type I, ( on a mound ) but not type II ( on a plain).

Paul M. likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Cascade is torturing me, lol. In your other post you mentioned you could not see the reverses. I would for sure take this apart and check the coins close up, obverse and reverse, to see if you might have some hidden treasure in possible varieties/errors. And even though it does look nice like this, it is not the best way to store them. If there is some nice toning starting you may want to arrest the toning now, It may get better, but it also may get worse over time.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nice. That Barber half is better than the detail-free AGs I normally see in these frames. The Ike looks like silver from this shot, too.

I agree about getting the coins out of the frame, though. I wonder if the wrinkled paper indicates that it's been exposed to heavy condensation.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The Ike's definitely 40% silver if it's a 71 S as every 71 S is. Also agree with @Cascade that many times the coins in these have been polished or scrubbed clean unfortunately. Although that 1908 Barber half does look pretty decent as stated already.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Either way it should be possible to disassemble the display in non-destructive fashion.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'd crack them out. A couple look like nice toning. The barber half is a nice original and who knows what else is there can't tell a lot from the pics

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

So is this set from 1971 then? Since the Ike doesn't have a range under it (1971-___ or 1971-1978).

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I suspect he's been 'had' by the old gal, but.......as a collector he came out somewhat ahead. :)

16. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I screwed up...I got the mound and the plain varieties mixed up.

17. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Just cracked them all out. In my estimation none grade worse than VG (Barbers) and most are in the XF-AU range.
    The reverses on the silver coins are pretty tarnished (perhaps there are those who would called them "toned"...I think tarnished is more apt). No great surprises on the mints (rats).
    The dates and mints---
    Dollars
    Morgan 1921-P
    Peace 1923-P
    Ike 1971-S
    Halves
    Barber 1906-O
    Walker 1943-P
    Franklin 1961-D
    Kennedy 1964-P
    Kennedy 1969-D
    Kennedy 1971-P
    Quarters
    Barber 1916-D
    St. Liberty 1926-S
    Washington 1964-D
    Washington 1970-P
    Dimes
    Barber 1911-D
    Mercury 1945-P
    Roosevelt 1963-D
    Roosevelt 1972-P
    Nickels
    Liberty 1910-P (duh)
    Buffalo 1936-P
    Jefferson 1944-P
    Jefferson 1966-P (no foolin')
    Cents
    Indian 1902-P (duh)
    Wheat 1956-D
    Steel 1943-D
    Memorial 1972-P

18. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Here is a smart phone pic of the reverses. Note tarnish on most of the silver issues. Better stay away from cardboard. 20160504_164550.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  19. B'Belt

B'Belt New Member

New here: I have hundreds of Barber Halves, so any traders on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted