Did I Translate "Vuurijzers" Correctly?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jgenn, Jan 26, 2019.

1. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Do we have any Dutch speakers on this forum? I recently acquired a Philipsdaalder from 1558 that shows some interesting devices on the reverse. Jean Elsen catalog listings consistently call these "vuurijzers" which, according to both Google and Bing, translates to fire irons (aka andirons, fire-dogs). These were fireplace hardware that came in pairs to support logs and could sport decorative guards, so decorative that, apparently, they might be featured as devices on coins.

1558_NL_1Ecu_v2.jpg

chrisild likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. jgenn

The fact that my post got indexed on the internet already should not be a measure of its correctness. ;)

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

Ha.. And I didn't even click on the link you provided on your first post.. I did a Google search. Nice coin. Thanks for sharing.

6. paddyman98

And here is the translation I did -
    iron.JPG

7. jgenn

Ain't technology great! So how did that part of the description on CoinFacts wiki get translated as "jewels"?

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Some more info in Dutch ...
    http://wiki.muntenenpapiergeld.nl/index.php?title=Vuurijzer

... with a (mostly machine :) ) translation: Fire Iron
    Symbol of the Burgundian house, originally introduced by Philip the Good as a personal emblem. In his time, the fire iron was a relatively new instrument for making fire. For this purpose a fire iron was struck against a flint, creating sparks. Philip chose the fire iron for its striking symbolism. It also fitted in with the personal symbol of his father John the Fearless: a hand plane. The latter wanted to indicate that he was all too willing to polish up the gnarled stick, the personal emblem of his arch-enemy, the French king Louis of Orleans.

The fire iron, originally the personal emblem of Philip, became the symbol of the Burgundian house. For example, the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece consists of links in the form of crocheted fire irons. The fire iron is also frequently found in many forms in the statue of Burgundian coins.

Christian

jgenn likes this.
  9. jgenn

Thanks Christian, that page you linked has the answer and thanks for the translation. I guess seeing the pair of them on my coin made me think they were andirons. The shower of sparks makes more sense coming from the striking of the fire iron.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted