Did I stumble across a 1968 no S dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chuckylof23, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

Any info would help please. I am brand new to collecting and literally don't know how to distunish real vs fake.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Welcome. this dime was minted in Philadelphia .

Chuckylof23 likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yes, it's real. One of the 424 Million which were minted in Philadelphia that year.

jrs146 and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's just a circulated dime, if it was a No S, it would be a Proof. Which are
    much nicer looking.

Markus1959 and Chuckylof23 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You did find a 1968 no S dime because it was minted in Philadelphia . What you have there is what's called a business strike not a proof strike. Only proof dimes were struck in San Francisco . Business strikes were from Denver and Philadelphia the Philadelphia carried no mint mark. You may find more as 424,470,400 were minted in Philadelphia

Markus1959 and Chuckylof23 like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You beat to it Shazam!

8. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

Thanks for the input guys. Also can someone possibly give me a heads up on which dimes quarters and nickels to hold on to that are circulated? I know which ones contain real silver, but curious others that I may find. I already found a buffalo nickel 1929. I can only see the 29 on it, but thought it was near to find that from the bank. That's guys

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It might be of great benefit to you if you purchased a copy of "A Guidebook of United States Coins" by R. S. Yeoman commonly referred to as The Red Book. It is published annually. I don't recommend using it for their price guides, but it contains a wealth of information about every coin that has been used and produced in the US since colonial times.

Chris

jrs146 and Chuckylof23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted