Did I pay to much for this Morgan dollar I have coming?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GUNNER63736, Oct 9, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Just thought I would ask you guys what you think of this new purchase I have coming. Just curious to see if I am staying in the ball park or not on the prices I am paying with the limited knowledge I have acquired over the last few years.. Go ahead. Tell me. I have thick skin. LOL. I collect on the cheaper side of this nutty hobby in my old age. I buy what I like. Sure am enjoying it though. Coin is stated to be an uncirculated (which looks correct to me) 1921 Morgan Silver dollar. I know it is not rare but I like the big silver. Paid $32.75 shipped for it. What ya think? 1921 morgan obv..jpg 1921 morgan reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

You did just fine

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Did it come with the Capital Holder?
    Those alone tend to average $3-$5.
    As far as the coin, I'd expect anywhere from $23-$30 nowadays.
    Overall, you paid within the range of recent sales.

5. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Yep, it comes with the holder.

ddddd likes this.
  6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I think you did great. Back in May, I bought a 1921 Morgan too. AU/BU. NOT as nice as yours. I paid $28. But silver was at around $17+. No holder. That same seller is selling 1921 Morgans AU at $39 nowadays. Not as nice as yours though.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

AU 1921 Morgans are selling for that much these days?

On instinct, I would have said you got ripped off.... but everyone else seems to think you did ok.

GeorgeM likes this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Is it just me or do the pictures look grainy? Almost like a sand cast. I think it is probably real, just the quality of the photos makes it tough to see details.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Melt is around $20. Premiums for lower grade examples from many dealers are $3-$7 over that. So $23-$30 is the range one would expect to pay. Add in $3-$5 for the holder and the price is within reason (might be on the higher side but not ripped off).

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

Oh, holy geez - I didn't realize silver was up to $25 an ounce! Wow. I haven't been following it too closely.

Ok, now I understand.

ddddd likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

It reached as high as $29 this year. And premiums for physical have been high throughout the year.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

In early August, it nearly hit $30.

13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

JeffC likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

The value of 1921 Morgans in AU is very closely tied to their actual metal value. There is a small numismatic premium for them, but not much (as ddddddddddddddddd describes above.... I can never remember how many D's is the right number of D's). The "spot price" is also for a full ounce of metal - the Morgan has less than an ounce.

A better resource is this website, which updates automatically with the actual silver value of various coins: http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

-jeffB and ddddd like this.
  15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Great ! I added it to my Fav's !

16. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

That is a handsome coin!

17. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Even at the biggest bullion dealers in Dallas, it's hard to find AU-BU 1921 Morgans for less than $28 right now, and that's if you buy 10 or more.

Do you have a closeup of the reverse die crack?

18. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

And shipped to your door! Not much downside to that purchase

19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

You did just fine. I paid about the same for one a few months back, but mine has a very noticeable bag mark on the reverse. BTW silver dollars, especially Morgans, will usually have a premium over the spot price unless they're culls.

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

To the OP: You paid a fair price, especially with the Capital holder. I would disagree with it being MS. I see light wear, and would grade the coin as AU.

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted