Did I just hit World Silver pay dirt?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Mar 27, 2017.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just picked this up today.

China - 1986 5 Yuan (Soccer).jpg

I see that there are a couple different versions:

1) KM139 Proof (that's not this coin, as it's obviously not a proof)
    2) KM140 Proof (again, not this coin)
    3) KM140a Satin Finish (I don't see any more versions, and this coin definitely has a satin finish)

Mintage for KM140a is showing 1,000 pieces. Price guide in Krause is, of course, wildly off (always seems to be for rarer Chinese coins) at $150 in BU, because NGC shows it at $375 in MS63 and the only completed eBay listing was for an NGC PF69 (matte proof, or satin finish) for $1,725...

So, did I hit the World Silver lottery?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    mlov43, Numismat and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

You definately hit the lottery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

5. stldanceartist

The first (left) one looks like a reverse proof. My coin definitely looks much more like the coin on the right (not to mention the first coin is much heavier, mine is 17g.)

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

How much did you pay for it? No way to answer your question without knowing that.

7. stldanceartist

I was about ready to ask "what does that have to do with anything" and then I remembered what my original question was haha...

I paid silver melt for it from a LCS, so if it's not genuine I'm out $8. I'd just like to get some other opinions on authenticity/attribution.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks to me like a genuine satin proof. You're going to send it to the TPG anyway, so opinions are kind of moot :)

stldanceartist likes this.
  9. stldanceartist

Well, not necessarily - I'd rather that another knowledgeable collector add their thoughts in case I'm wrong (it happens.) I've thrown it in the auction this Sunday to see if it sells without my waiting two months for NGC to get around to grading it.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Seems like something to dance about to this untrained eye........:)

11. stldanceartist

Just trying to double check myself. You know how it is when you think you've found something really, really cool...but you don't want to get your hopes up for no good reason.

And I think the dancing part comes when it sells lol...

12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I say send it in and see what NGC says. The only other thing I could find was this advertisement or order form which was apparently for the Matte proof version (or I assume so as satin finish seems to fit) which lists another weight. I couldn't find any evidence of any versions except the proof and Matte proof so I'd say the odds seem favorable that's what you have but this is a pre internet era foreign mint coin with sparse info out there apparently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted