Did I just hit the Jackpot?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MattMcW86, Sep 26, 2016.

1. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

Hello Coin Community. I just want to start out saying I know absolutely nothing about coins and their values. With that being said... After paying for my things at a gas station, the automated coin disperser gave me my change. I thought I was given a Canadian coin because one looked unfamiliar. After further inspection, it was a Buffalo Nickel. Cool I thought! Not something you see everyday and I know they're worth more than 5 cents.

I did a little research and was disappointed when I saw that my 1936 wasn't worth much. Out of curiosity I look at what makes them valuable. I eventually saw that there is a valuable 1936, a Buffalo with a handicap. I looked at my coin and other pictures, then back at mine. All signs point to having a 3 1/2 legged Buffalo.

I became very excited and thought about what it may be worth, but then started to notice other things. The biggest thing is letter underneath the denomination. So please take a look at the pictures and any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you for reading my long story.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Your picture didn't post. I'm rooting for you. :)

MattMcW86 likes this.
  4. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

Hello. Please put pictures up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattMcW86 likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The letter under the date is an "F." It is the initial of the coin's designer.
    The letter under the denomination is the Mint where the coin was made. You'll learn a lot more and perhaps become a collector if you do some research on your own on the Internet. Do you have a computer?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    MattMcW86 likes this.
  6. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

I thought I did, maybe I need to read the tutorial

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Also, please make sure your pictures are in focus and showing the coin straight on, with images of both sides (the Indian side and the buffalo side).

MattMcW86 likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

We would love to see your coin and say congratulations...show us...even a cell phone snap or a scan.

MattMcW86 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@MattMcW86

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Matt!

Yes, there is a 1936-D Buff with 3-1/2 legs that could be very valuable, but we need to see good photos of both sides to help you.

Chris

MattMcW86 likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

When it comes to merely identifying a coin, I'll take almost any scanner image over almost any phone image. For aesthetics, properly lit optical macro is king.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Good point!

Chris

Kentucky and MattMcW86 like this.
  12. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

Sorry everyone, I just drove through the biggest dead zone in North PA. I will attempt to load the photos. I am on an IPhone 6s+ and I have the pictures. Just have to figure how to load them now

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The letter under the denomination is a mint mark? On a Buffalo Nickel? :confused:;)

14. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Welcome to CT.

Posting pictures is easy. Next to "post reply" is "upload a file". After uploading the files (pics), choose to insert every image as a.... "full image", then post reply.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Well..., sometimes more than one mintmark.

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

For some reason 3 bars in the top corner just keep flashing

17. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Weak signal? Happens to me sometimes, but for me the "bars" sort of pan right, like its "working" on the request.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I had trouble over the weekend doing some uploads. They finally cleared the bars after several attempts.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Where I live, we call that the "big file / typical crappy bandwidth" effect.

20. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

21. MattMcW86

MattMcW86 New Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted