Did i just get ripped off?1889 O MorganSilver $$

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tess840, Jul 26, 2015.

?

Did I get ripped off?

1. yes!

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Yes/No. Not worth $65 but you didnt ripped off

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

grey sheet xf at $32.00 I suggest you buy David Bowers guide book if you want to collect Morgans.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Happy Hour!

Chris

4. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

This is good advice. One thing you'll hear coin collectors say is "Buy the book before the coin." You should read a book or two written about a specific coin series before you buy anything from that series. What are the key dates, rare varieties, things to look for when detecting if something is counterfeit, etc.

The other thing you should do is learn to grade. There are several great books on learning to grade. A coin's value is tied to its rarity and its grade (condition based on wear). This also includes learning to detect whether something has been cleaned, whizzed, or otherwise damaged.

Paul_62 likes this.
  5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Common date, well circulated. Not overly attractive coin--worth melt value only as I see it.

6. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

If only that O was a CC.

7. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

See if you can throw it across the Potomac River.

8. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

if your pleased w/ the coin, than a price shouldn't be a factor ( that is if you really wanted it )

9. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

I get $65 worth of enjoyment seeing someone else make an ill-advised purchase then getting that sick feeling when realizing that they won't get their investment back if they hold it for 30 years.

10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Ooh man that is ice cold!

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hey people spend their money on all kinds of things that make them happy. It was a poor buy considering the condition but really they could have done worse. I was trying to optimistic.

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Did the OP get ripped off--no, but he did pay twice what it is worth. It is a good learning experience, and not a big tragedy. Always research price before buying.

13. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Is there something beside condition that "adds value?"

Draft saved Draft deleted