Did I get my money's worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Aug 10, 2020.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I stopped in a Pawn shop today and they had a few silver half dollars.

The Spot Price of silver was $29.20 and the melt value for a 50 cent was $10.55

I paid $9 each (or 18x FV) for the ten coins.

Did I do all right?

I know pictures are probably unnecessary, because they are worn WL's and Franklins, but is there anything here worth anything more than melt?

Singling out the best of each in a solo photo. What is that yellow stuff on the Walker Obv?

Thank you all.

5WalkersObv.jpg 5FranklinsObv.jpg 5FrankinsRev.jpg 1946WalkerObv.jpg 1960FrankHalfObv.jpg 1960FrankRev.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Any day you pay less than melt for PM is a good day.

As for the Walker with the crud, it looks like some kind of residue from an adhesive. A dip in acetone could probably remove it. Though, if you are just holding for silver value, I don't see the point since that would cost more than what you ended up paying for them.

Inspector43 and rosethe like this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep you did well, good on you! :D

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Really good in my opinion.

6. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I think I have completely changed tactics from what I was intending to do with My Father's Collection.
    I was wanting to sell off constitutional silver and buy better numismatic pieces. But, with the prices of metals such as they are, I think it's better not to sell off. I think it's time to buy or trade silver for gold equivalents. Buying for silver value, for sure. Look at JM Bullion-almost completely sold out of constitutional silver, and the local coin shop doesn't have hardly any gold for sale. To me, these are clear signs.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Ponder your decisions and then rethink them before you choose a direction, just saying.

8. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I am pondering and re-pondering, then pondering again.

Mike Davis and Robert Ransom like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted