Did I finally hit that point?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Aug 28, 2020.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

We hear countless stories and anecdotes about collecting as a youngster, taking a pause in our late teenage and early adult years, and picking up the hobby once again down the road.

Whether it is intended or unconsciously, I’ve reached that point over the last few months. Perhaps COVID-19 has accelerated it, but I am lacking in the strong interest right now of collecting numismatics. If you see my threads, I almost never posted anything in the last few months. I’ve liquidated most of my collection simply because it was sitting there doing nothing. I still have holdings in a few hundred dollars of silver, however I am making considerations to place that in an Roth IRA or Mutual Fund, but that’s besides the point.
    This isn’t goodbye at all. This is simply that moment when it all changes, I started interest in Numismatics the Spring of 8th Grade, and here I am graduated 2020, I used to bring my red book, or a stack of wheat pennies, or a silver dollar EVERYWHERE. I would sit and look at my nickels or dimes while we are at the dinner table, or at the park. It was a true exciting passion, perhaps borderline addiction. But obviously, life hits you, school, future, job, make money, spend money, save money, don’t have a lot of money to spend on old cool looking money. Spending money on the girlfriend doesn’t help either.

I’d like to think that I’m in a new stage, I’ve collected, bought, traded and sold lots of coins. But now I feel in the mode of simply learning by reading, I still read articles posted here and other numismatic sites, and it still fascinates me just as it always has. But I no longer feel the incurable desire to own all the coins. Sure, I would still buy an Libertas Americana Medal if I could afford one, and I’ll keep all the sentimental coins I own, but the days of countless albums, and boxes of rolls and Slabs upon slabs has ended for now. I’ll probably get myself a numismatic subscription of a magazine but for me, it’s no longer the collecting, but the knowledge that’s the biggest part. Just remember this isn’t goodbye, it’s just a new chapter!

Best Regards,
    Michael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

You're telling my story, Michael. I began "accumulating" coins at age 12 and went to the same age as you and the same thing happened. I didn't take it up seriously again until I was in my lower thirties - in fact right around the time that I joined CT. I feel that is the point where I actually turned into a "collector". That's when I started building my Buffalo Nickel set and starting reading as much numismatic material as I could get my hands on.

You might take some time off, but you'll be back. Enjoy your youth and dive back into the coins hardcore when you can.

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

When I got tired of american paper money, I transitioned to the cheaper and more beautiful foreign paper.

similarly, I went from American coins to world, to ancient.

5. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is germane to this thread, but I had the same feeling about my British Commonwealth stamp collection.
    I have been putting together MNH sets from all countries that recognized QE-II
    in her Coronation set of 1953. (Approximately 54 different countries, many now 'dead' and comprising sets from the times of Geo-V, Geo-VI & QE-II.
    All dating prior to 1970.
    After having spent $40K+ over the last 25 years, I packaged up the 7 stock books
    and 'set them free'! (U.S.P.S-ed to an auction house scheduled for a May 2021 sale)
    And likewise Michael, I'll still keep my 'big toe dipped' into Philately one way or t'other, but not, to any degree quite as serious.
    Still an avid coin collector and have a few items on my 'wish list' to accrue.
    Cheers,
    J.T.

6. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

You will be back, as you said just a new chapter in life. i loved collecting comics and baseball cards as a kid, now many years later im into silver and coins. once a collector always a collector. Good luck to you and i hope you enjoy the road ahead.

furryfrog02 and Garlicus like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think everyone has gone threw that stage in life. When I was your age it was about girls and cars. Then college and life. I was a coin hoarder/accumulator. As I got older I got much more focuses on certain world coins. With some people going into the "Box of 20" or "Box of 50" that sort of collecting interests me now. I could see myself doing a "Box of 100" lol I currently have around 1,200+ coins. Some interests come and go. I foresee in the future selling half my collection to get more eye appealing coins with amazing designs in thee 18th and 19 century.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best wishes on your future. I'm looking forward to the chapter in your life called My Return to Numismatics.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. When you come back, some of us will be here.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear life is getting in the way of everything, that's just how it is sometimes. Kind of funny, we both started around the same time and graduated on the same year. Best wishes with whichever path you take. Catch you on the flip side.

11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

If you plan on selling your current collection, keep the keys. they'll only be more expensive next time around.

Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I did the same and got really serious again in my mid 30s hope it doesn’t take you as long. For me it was always smoldering under the surface and I’d buy the occasional coin. Then the fire lit. And it’s been from a raging bonfire to glowing embers along the way. All it takes is some money and a couple new coins to set it ablaze again

Draft saved Draft deleted