Did I buy a fake coin ??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tobiask, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tobiask

tobiask Well-Known Member

Hey friends

I picked this coin up for a couple of dollars at a flea market. He said "3rd century AD". It looks a bit too shiny to be real. Can anyone help me to see if it it looks real ? maybe also identify it ? thank you !!

Attached Files:

Jason Hoffpauir and KurtS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Looks real. I'm not good enough to tell you who it is with most of the letters missing from the off-center strike. Somebody here probably can though. Safe to say $5-10 dollars.

4. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

It looks real to me--and well-preserved, and for a few bucks I'd say you got a nice deal! :D
    You should post your coin to the ancients forum to get a positive ID.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

That's a great looking ancient. If it's a rare issue, it could be fake. It almost looks too well preserved. My guess would then be that it was a fake made decades ago. More likely though it's genuine and quite common but well preserved because it was dug up in a container.

6. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The condition of the OP's coin isn't uncommon for an ancient. A lot of them are found buried in jars that often leave the coins in the center looking almost new. Here's a coin of Constantius II, Roman emperor 337-361 AD... from my collection:

[​IMG]

J.A.K. and Jason Hoffpauir like this.
  7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I think you got the real thing there!!! Gratz

Draft saved Draft deleted