did bleach cause

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverhouse, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

this toning? It's awful black. It's on the bay. It's a semi key date. What would cause such toning? I've never seen a coin almost black from toning. These are sellers pics. Not my coin. $_3 (21).JPG $_3 (20).JPG $_3 (22).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Bleach generally turns a silver surface gray. Now, this statement: "I've never seen a coin almost black from toning" leads me to believe you have not seen a lot of terminally toned (black) coins. This one is not even close! ;)

I'll bet someone will post a "black" toner.

4. Silverhouse

you are correct. I have not seen a lot of terminally black coins. my question is how would this affect the value of a coin like this provided it has not been cleaned? however I am betting it has been cleaned at some point in the past.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I can't tell anything about the actual in-hand appearance from those photos. Look how different the background's color and tone is between the two shots.

I'm guessing cleaned and retoned. It also looks like there's more than the advertised "XF" detail. I thought there might be a hint of luster on the reverse, but I think that's just the pattern of the toning.

I'd pounce on shots like that appearing in an otherwise-uncategorized mixed lot, but straight-up bidding on a correctly-classified better date, in claimed better condition, based on photos like this? With no returns accepted? Not me, thanks.

Paul M. and mynamespat like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

White balance could be off.

7. Silverhouse

everything could be wrong with this coin. however I just received a $0.03 piece that the sellers photos did it no justice, and it looks way better in hand. but still no comparison to the black barber photos.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah, the photo color balance is off a bit. Assuming that it's problem-free, I like tarnished coins and the strike details on that one isn't too bad at all. I have a tarnished gray-black Barber dime that is just as I'm thinking you're describing it.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Ain't no "could" about it. :)

The only sure thing from these photos is that this item is round.

10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Ask the seller for a better picture.
    I was going to ask but someone >>>>> s***f[​IMG]( 2836[​IMG])
    pushed the price past what I was willing to gamble on it.

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Based on the angle of the shot, I'm not even entirely sure of that. :p

12. SuperDave

I diddled the seller's images a bit. Only had to alter the Yellow color channel, which strongly hints it's only a white balance issue and chances are these are closer to "original." The seller is offering it as XF, which seems fair.

1892SObv (2).jpg

1892SRev.jpg

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd agree with XF....:)

14. Silverhouse

Wow. Thanks. Good to know it's possibly original. Still dunno, bout bidding yet.

15. SuperDave

The spotty look of the reverse has me a little doubtful, and the bidding is edging into the price range where I want it already in a righteous slab at XF. There will be another.

16. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The seller has other Barbers with a grayish color with that crappy white/cream background. Strange ?????

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wow -- I hadn't looked at the seller's other listings. That's quite a collection of quarters getting busted up. Wonder what they looked like when first acquired. I also wonder if they've been shacked up in a smoker's den.

18. SuperDave

Holy cow. He's got other stuff besides just pork hanging in the smokin' shed. :)

19. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I like some dark toners. Got this for a few dollars and wonder what the cause was for such a look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Insider likes this.
  20. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

I removed this from a pocket watch case. The obverse was exposed to the elements and probably harsh cleaning with who knows what by the owner causing the dark dull toning. The reverse was inside the closed case but by no means air tight. There was a care and maintenance sticker stuck to the reverse creating the oddly shaped toning. Same coin in the same storage environment.
    Coin obverse cleaned by anything from saliva to windex. IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1374.JPG JMHO

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Sulfur.

Johnnie Black likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted