Did anyone win anything at Heritage?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by savitale, Aug 20, 2021.

1. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Some nice coins on offer. I got skunked, 0 for 4. I wasn't willing to set new world records for these coins but apparently others felt differently. If any of you got this one, I respect your taste in coins.

domitian.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Didn't even try to participate, prices are crazy...

Gallienus, savitale and rrdenarius like this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I had a bid on an aureus but unfortunately I lost. By a lot.

savitale likes this.
  5. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s a tough time to start a new hobby. At the same time I wonder if the strong prices are pulling some of the better stuff out of the woodwork. On the US side an unusual number of very high profile coins have come up for auction recently.

6. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

The Domitian denarius is really remarkable. As an issue it is very common and plentiful, but in this condition, with new dies on both sides, of the highest rarity. Not surprised it hammered for $5K

savitale, Orfew, cmezner and 3 others like this.
  7. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I need a more affordable hobby.

johnyb, savitale, zadie and 3 others like this.
  8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I’ve recently picked up my old stamp collection. Buyers market.

9. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Prices were uniformly very strong although I managed to buy two lots at a significant discount to their prior sales price.

It's often helpful to target coins which aren't quite as hotly contested - i.e. right now, Twelve Caesars coinage is realizing extremely strong prices whereas slightly later emperors have been neutral to weak.

There are always more coins than money and some pieces will slip through the cracks in large sales if you're patient enough.

10. Steelers72

Steelers72 Well-Known Member

Had my eyes on a few coins, could not justify bidding higher.

I agree with @AncientJoe patience, better examples always out there.

savitale likes this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Here are my successful bids:

12. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I've bid on hundreds of lots in dozens of Heritage auctions; only won one lot about 3 years ago (a Japanese Mameita gin, not even ancient!). Haven't even bothered looking at what they have - I won't win it anyway!

savitale likes this.
  13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

you need to bid on about 50 items to get one at a fair price, these guys and great collections seem to locate insane bidders....some error coins you can get raw for 5 and 10 dollars they get hundreds for it if slabbed..smh:dead:

savitale likes this.
  14. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Really crazy prices at this Heritage ANA signature auction. Maybe I'll have better luck with Heritage during a lower-profile auction.

Gallienus, savitale and 1865King like this.
  15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I tried but the two coins I was interested in went for a lot more than I thought they were worth. Some prices were nuts.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5 of those were my winnings, the owl is just washed out enough to pull the trigger.

Gallienus and savitale like this.
  17. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Really? I can't believe that: I thought ALL cistophorii were worth $80,000?

Rome_Augustus_cist_Sphnix_HA-listing 0600px.jpg
    Technically I 'planned' to bid on this one but didn't as it seems that pre-bidding invalidates my ability to enter a split bid on Heritage live. So I waited for the live sale to bid. In any case I don't think winning this coin was in any way amenable to making a split bid.

In the Latin American sphere there were coins that I looked at when they sold at Goldberg's Milennia sale in 2008. I wrote negative comments on how they were graded. Last week, at Heritage, they still realized breakaway prices. It seems the new buyers are unconcerned with the actual quality and only the slab numbers.

I have good reason to believe that this will correct and lower prices will result in a few years. Thus I'm not rushing to buy anything at these prices. I did luck out with one lot earlier this year and noted 2 other rare pieces that I perhaps should've bought as they sold 'relatively cheaply' and appeared to be great coins.

Congratulations! Looking closely it appears to be the early archaic type although my Hastings triplet tends to overmagnify all the pixels.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Hamilcar Barca and DonnaML like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was only joking, I didn't even follow the auction. The prices realized seem way outta hand and deeper than my pocket book.

Gallienus likes this.
  19. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I haven’t won a coin in 2021.
    Prices have gone nuts and just about every bid has been blown out. Hopefully this isn’t the new normal…

20. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

In retrospect there were two good pieces that sold cheaply out of Heritage's Pernamubana collection and a 3rd piece, also Brazilian: top grade known for date & 2nd finest for type, that sold cheaply. It's like looking for needles in a haystack tho.

These were not cheap, small undesirable coins -- one was gold & the other 2 silver and prices went up to 20K. I got one really good gold coin out of that sale (July?, 2021): at a very fair price too.

In general, we {the USA} just suffered a major military defeat in Afghanistan and understandably elites are panicking and buying up portable wealth. That way they'll be able to pack it up & take it to Mars to escape the Earth when Elon Musk colonizes that planet. Expect the panic to die down in a few years.
    04b_phobos-base_1000px.jpg
    Barsoom aka Mars, as seen from the closer of its 2 moons, Phobos.
    Artist's conception

That's strange, if I look closely enough at the white space underneath your comment I can just barely imagine seeing a very washed-out Athenian Owl (archaic) there.

Also in another round of good news, white people are declining in the US population and I believe globally. While we all here have a natural kinship with people of all kinds who collect coins, this population is by far the principal buyer of:
    1) Overpriced USA coins
    2) Ancient coins: these are much more diversified in terms of collecting audience. Still, a hit on US coins may scare high dollar, pound sterling, euro, Swiss Franc, etc. investors into selling or not buying as many ancients as before.
    3) World Also more diversified. I'm a member of the SNB: the Brazilian National Numismatic Club, SP chapter. Some Brazilians love their coins + have dinner parties. Nonetheless a lot of Brazilian coins seem to end up nowadays in US hands due to the stronger $. Thus I expect some sort of hit on world coins eventually.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I agree... this coin is very nice but wow, that was a drastically strong price. I looked twice when I first saw it online as it is so similar in centering to mine. Thankfully both are genuine but it did cause me to raise an eyebrow:

SphinxCistophorus.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted