Did anyone buy anything in the latest Frank Robinson auction?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Sep 2, 2020.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I also sent an email to Frank and he told me that he mailed them last Thursday.

They surely are on their way, just hope that they don't get "lost" on their way here

Roman Collector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I bid on 393, the Varhran II, quite high I thought, but somebody bid a hundred more. Pity, I liked it a lot, especially the bystanders, and it’s different as a type from the two I have. Much nicer specimen than the others of this particular type (Prince with Wreath) that were in auctions after the Robinson sale.

However, there is always more for sale afterwards. So I bought three nice Celts in another auction, I will show them when I have them.

4. cmezner

They arrived, all of them, and unharmed :happy:.

All the pictures are from Frank.

Don't have measured nor weighted the coins yet, and this information was not available on biddr:

1.) I didn't have a Helena, mother of Constantine coin and I thought it would be nice to have one. Liked this one very much because her almost cartoonish portrait.

Æ3 Reduced Follis, Mysia, Cyzikus, 325 - 326 AD; officina Mark A
    RIC VII, 39; Sear (4th edition) 3908; LRBC 1176;

Ob.: FL HELENA AVGVSTA, Diademed, mantled, with necklace bust r.
    Rev.: SECVRITAS REI PVBLICAE, Securitas standing l., lowering olive branch, raising hem of robe with right hand; Mintmark SMKA•
    upload_2020-9-21_14-11-28.png
    2.) Severus Alexander, Æ Sestertius, Rome, 231 - 235 AD
    RIC IV 645b; Cohen 509; Sear 8013

Ob.: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG laureate bust to right with draped far shoulder; border of pearls
    Rev.: PROVIDENTIA AVG Annona standing left holding anchor in l. hand and grain ears in r. hand over modius; S C across fields; border of pearls
    upload_2020-9-21_14-14-45.png
    3.) Æ 22, Phrygia, Apameia, ca. 88 - 40 BC, (modern Dinar, Turkey). Magistrates Menek(leous) and Diod(dorus)
    SNG Ashmolean 976; SNG Copenhagen 175; HGC 7, 672; Sear 5121

Ob.: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev.: ΑΠΑΜΕ / MENEK / ΔIOΔ in 3 lines (magistrates Menek(leous) and Diod(dorus). Facing statue of Artemis Anaïtis.

Zeus-Artemis.jpg
    4.) AR Didrachm, Caria, ca. 340 - 336/5 BC
    SNG Copenhagen 597; SNG von Aulock 2375-2376; Weber 6608;

Ob.: Three-quarter facing head of Apollo wearing laurel wreath, drapery at neck
    Rev.: ΠIΞΩΔAPOY Zeus Labraundos standing right, holding double axe (labrys) and lotus-tipped
    Caria.jpg
    5.) ROMAN PROVINCIAL, 11 pcs, all around VG, not bad, generally probably identifiable
    Lot Roman provincial.jpg

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Ten of lot 5 are easy ID's as far as one side goes. Many dealers would have said more than VG on most of those coins. Whether or not they were worth the price realized is a matter of opinion but there is fun there to be had. 2, 3, and 4 are long term keepers IMO. I am surprised that 1 went that high considering the reverse but Helena is popular. I wonder how much extra people paid because the coins were flagged as from Frank's collection??? He does have good taste in coins.

Weights on Franks coins are usually what was put on the flip by a previous seller. Some are wrong. I posted my coins from this sale including one that was misidentified by the previous seller according to the flip but not corrected by Frank. That is rare.

Roman Collector, DonnaML and cmezner like this.
  6. cmezner

Yesss, will enjoy very much attributing the ones in the lot.:happy:

None of the flips has a weight; however even if the weight is given, I do always weight them.

The envelope that FRS sent is really one of a kind - never saw in recent times so many real stamps on one envelope:D

FRS Envelope.jpg FRS envelope-r.jpg

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

That's how he always sends things, at least in my experience -- the envelopes I get from him are completely covered with stamps. It's been many years since I've seen anyone else do that!

8. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

I won this piece....a relatively scarce parthian drachm, Minted during a (one of many) conflicts over the Arsacid throne. This piece isn't in the greatest of condition. However, it appealed to me due to its significance historically during the Parthian Dark Age...an age where there were several contenders to the throne. PSX_20200914_050203.jpg
    Orodes I ca. 90-80 B.C.
    AR Drachm
    Rhagae Mint
    Sellwood 31.7
    Transitional Issue drachm. Likely minted at the height of a power struggle between Orodes I and his brother Mithradates III (ca. 87-80 B.C.). This coin depicts the effigy of Orodes I (signified by the fleur-de-lis on tiara) on the obverse and on the reverse the inscriptions found on the S31 drachms of Mithradates III. It is believed that this was done intentionally, as either king could later claim the coinage as his own if he were the victor of this dynastic power struggle.
    Ex. FSR Coin
    Ex. Cng 60, lot 1020.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hey @DonnaML , your former Marc Antony is for sale again...described as "an extremely good quality struck FAKE". Starting bid at 10$ if you feel nostalgic...;) (lot 155)

http://www.fsrcoin.com/n.html

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Just got an email advertising Frank's next auction, not quite as many lots as recent auctions, but some nice pieces are for sale. Looking to fill a couple of holes in the collection and it may fit the bill.

DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I saw @DonnaML Marc Antony as well :)
    I put a few bids on a few coins but I doubt I will win anything. Oh well, fingers crossed.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I saw that! I'll pass. I understand that FSR wants to recoup whatever he can of
    what he paid for it himself, and he certainly discloses very prominently that it's fake, but it still makes me a bit uncomfortable to see it for sale again. I hope whoever buys it takes it off the market permanently, and doesn't simply put it up for sale on ebay as genuine. Does it make anyone else similarly uncomfortable?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He has many fakes for sale this go around, even Slaveys.

Not many coins I see I would be bidding on this go around for my budget.

DonnaML likes this.
  14. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

The fakes don't bother me, but I think he should put size, weight and a type number to look it up. I'd rather have that than the recent auction color he gives but everybody's different and he's easy to deal with.

cmezner and DonnaML like this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Aaaah, not so very long ago, this was a main draw of collecting from dealers in Europe. The Stamps!!! In the best cases, the envelopes looked as if the seller had it down to a minor art form. Maybe not Victoria & Albert Museum, but within loud shouting distance. Never got into philately as such, but I'm glad I kept as many of the envelopes as I did.

Kentucky, cmezner and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted