Did anyone buy anything in the latest Frank Robinson auction?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Sep 2, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

He's the only dealer I know of who sends out ancient coins "on approval" without waiting for payment (at least to customers who've bought from him in the past), as if it were still 1965. I think that goes a long way towards making up for the deficiencies in his photos!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

You're extremely kind, @+VGO.DVCKS, and I appreciate the compliment -- because I sometimes worry that I post too much -- even though I'm a little embarrassed by it. Remember, I've been here only seven months, just a few days longer than you! There are many people here who know far more than I do.

4. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in your Julian coin. Where is it for sale?

5. IMP Shogun

I'd be interested in your Julian coin. Where is it for sale?

6. IMP Shogun

I'm sorry I double post. May I just say that is a nice Julian Coin, I would have interest if you said where it was for sale. Also humbly disagree on the high bid tactic. Frank's system is very good for the customer that knows what they want to pay, it chases out other bids, and he reduces.

7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Nope, DonnaML, from here, you have zero worries where posting too much is concerned.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. DonnaML

Are you asking me if I want to sell the Julian II coin? If you are, the answer is no: I just bought it and don't even have it yet! I'm a collector, not a dealer.

9. IMP Shogun

Apologies, it thought you said you upgraded and were interested in selling the lower grade coin Julian coin.

10. IMP Shogun

Or I rather (not it...) and I don't have a repeating the term "coin" problem but rather a quick post reply trigger.

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Indeed! Though it strikes me that he must have to put in extra work to produce such bad photos. :D Quite an ordinary cell phone & a decent light would do a much better job!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. IMP Shogun

a majority of what I won was Frank's collection. It's not great to see his collection isn't necessarily dated I'm impressed with his coin variety and his pics are better than mine.

13. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Thank you so much Donna for this thread :happy:

Yesssss; Had 8 on my watch list, downsized it to 6 that I liked the most and won 5.

Will wait until USPS delivers, ... don't want to jinx it

Lot of Kudos for Frank. Great job organizing this auction and keeping in touch with bidders - impressive.

14. DonnaML

OK, now I understand what you meant. That one will be in Severus Alexander's next auction.

Orielensis and Severus Alexander like this.
  15. IMP Shogun

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

edited :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
  17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've got several coins inbound from Europe right now (OK, USPS?) each taking longer than a month to arrive and none of them have. I browsed through the photos and didn't see any coins I had to have, so I sat it out. I'm also very busy with work presently as M&A activity is heating up. (Yes, in spite of Covid-19).

18. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

It appears that I managed to win 4 coins. I shall await their arrival.

DonnaML likes this.
  19. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

OK it was me who bought the Brutus dagger copy since I'll never be able to get the real McCoy:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'll show it to my poker buddies and tell them it's the real deal. They will be amazed.
    Also bought:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Valens. Paid more than maybe I should have but as they say "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

I look forward to his next sale.

Pellinore, Alegandron, Orfew and 6 others like this.
  20. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Although I was tempted to bid on a couple of coins, I didn't do so this time. Shipping to Europe is still extremely slow and somewhat patchy, and I didn't want to take the risk. Hopefully, the situation will improve before Frank's next auction...

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

You bring up the one aspect I simply dislike about Frank's auctions. I truly, deeply disagree with him selling fakes like he does. HE discloses them as fakes, but doesn't stamp them or anything, so they WILL enter the hobby again. I have literally taken a year off or more from his auctions at time over my feelings about this.

I just don't think its good practice for dealers to resell deceptive fakes. It creates a market for them, rewarding those manufacturing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted