Did anyone buy a coin on the first day of the decade?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I haven't, but wonder if anyone else did?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, a Pamphylia, Aspendos Stater.

4. Aethelred

Can you share a photo @Mat

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I only share when it arrives. I never like to jump the gun.

6. Aethelred

Gotcha!

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Since there was no year zero, the start of the decade is 1 and the last year ends in 0.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I will have to wait till Heritage/ CNG (Triton XXIII) events, Jan. 13/14/15/16 to get something. Tons of beautifull material up for auction/ limited budget:(
    John

9. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Yes,

Svoronos 1732, the 5 drachm type used for the holy water dispensing machine designed by Hero of Alexandria. From the store of someone on this list, I think. It's not in hand yet, but it's nicer than the one I have. Seller's photo below.

upload_2020-1-1_18-4-18.png

Size: 11mm
    Weight: 0.7 g
    Svoronos 1732; SNG Copenhagen 673

Some background follows.

CC Lorber (The Oxford Handbook of Greek and Roman Coinage):
    "Cleopatra reformed the Egyptian bronze currency, providing an adequate supply of struck coins for perhaps the first time in half a century. Her best known Alexandrian bronzes comprise two sizable denominations with her portrait on the obverse and marks of value on the reverse, designating these coins as equivalent to 80 and 40 of the small bronze "drachms of account" according to the system of reckoning introduced around the turn of the second century. The weights of these coins imply that the "drachm of account" was now a unit of 0.2 g. Also attributable to Cleopatra are small Ammon/eagle bronzes marked B - A or K - Λ; these must represent the smallest unit of the currency system, the bronze pentadrachm described by Hero of Alexandria in connection with dispensing machines for holy water (Maresch 1996: 96-97; Picard 2005: 85, 2008). Because Augustus adopted Cleopatra's system of denominated bronzes but later gradually reintroduced the traditional Greek divisional system of chalkoi and obols, there is reason to suspect that Cleopatra's bronzes could also have functioned in the traditional system. The 1:8 ratio between the pentadrachms and the 40-drachm pieces suggests they could have been chalkoi and obols, respectively, making the 80-dradun piece a diobol; intriguingly, the 40- and 80-drachm coins have the same weights and ctiameters as the bronze obols and diobols of Ptolemy II, perhaps implying that the traditional divisional system had survived unchanged beneath the overlay of the new decimal system (Faucher 2006; Maresch 1996: 68, 110-111)."

See also Ptolemaic Lead Coinage in Coele Syria (103-101 BCE), by Oliver D Hoover, INR, Vol 3 (2008) pp 81-86:
    "The types used for this series are drawn directly from a Ptolemaic bronze coinage struck at Alexandria (Svoronos 1904:246, Nos 1732-1733). The mint of the bronze coinage seems assured as some 43 specimens (one twelfth of the Ptolemaic coin finds) have been found in the excavations carried out by the Centre d'Etudes Alexandrines (Picard 2005:85). The small Alexandrian bronzes upon which [similar] lead pieces are modeled feature the horned head of Zeus-Ammon on the obverse and the Ptolemaic eagle standing on a thunderbolt flanked by either Κ - Λ (presumably for ΚΛ[ΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ]) or Β - Α (presumably for ΒΑ[ΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ]) on the reverse. [NB: TV Buttrey attributes these to Cyrenaica.]"

- Broucheion

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have not yet. I am waiting for 1-Jan-2021... first year of the next Decade... :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  11. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I picked up a penny of Edward I off of EBay today. I have been watching it for a while and the seller accepted my offer. I'm fairly certain it is class 3cd, but will hold off on final classification until I have it in hand. The photos are from the seller.
    Screenshot_20200101-180956~2.png
    Screenshot_20200101-181002~2.png

12. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Got very rare bronze of Joppa.
    s-l400 (1).jpg

13. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

No. Right now I’m saving my coin-cash for FUN next week.

Aethelred and panzerman like this.
  14. panzerman

Same here/ there are 4 major events in next 2 weeks.

Aethelred likes this.
  15. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Two ways to look at this issue. The “strict” view has the decade ending with year ending with 0. This is the accurate view, if you want to place any bets and win them legally.

However, there is also the “popular” view, which has the decade ending as the OP suggests. This is an acceptable view in society, and is used by many writers of all stripes, especially sports writers, who love to say these kinds of things at this time of year...Spark

16. khalil elara

khalil elara Active Member

no I am going to stop buying for at least 6 months very low budget I bought too many on xmas 1 pride of 2 nations proof 70 pcgs and a 5 1/4 2019 99% silver also cert. by ngc 70 prf ultra camo and 2018-s Cumberland prf 69 ngc reverse proof and 1885-o morgan ms 64 pcgs that why I get to holt buying for 6 months mabe more

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

I spent most of my budget, but could never hold off for six months....I would go coin stir crazy.;)

18. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I bid on a dozen items on eBay yesterday - it will be the weekend before I know if I 'bought' anything ;)

19. panzerman

I just checked Heritage weekly world/ancient auction....may bid on one lot:)

20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My tacitus ant should be arriving shortly. First of 2020 or last of 2019, take your pick...

21. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I see I paid for 3 coins from ebay on 1-1-2020. Alas, none were what you could call "ancient".

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted