Did anybody buy a PDS set of Maya Angelou quarters today?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beardigger, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I went on the mint website just after 2 today to order my usual P,D,& S rolls of the new 2022 Maya Angelou quarters, and they showed as Not Available. I was really disappointed! I find it hard to believe they sold out in 2 hours. I'm hoping that the S quarters just weren't available yet. Was anybody able to buy them?

JeffC and CoinJockey73 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I didn’t try to buy them today but I’m signed up for enrollment for the PDS set. I have been getting these sets for a few years now. Mine said it has already been shipped. Sorry you couldn’t get yours. I’m surprised that they were out of them that fast. I believe the Tuskegees were the same way. Hopefully they will have them again soon for you. Good luck to ya.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I was going to buy a couple of bags but it said that I had to be enrolled to buy them.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nope, an not going to

CoinCorgi likes this.
  6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I think the mint is basically just trying to do enrollment fulfillment and nothing else. At least it sure seems like that's their game plan on some items, and even then, they are shorting it, not enough to go around.

it's early enough for them to make more, but will they make more? I don't know. they got P + D for days, but the 3 roll set says sold out, so San Francisco is slacking.

LakeEffect likes this.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I think this is correct. In recent years, the mint has pushed to become more efficient, and I think this type of production, a sort of just-in-time approach, is a part of it. They don't want to close out the year with pallets of unsold inventory, so they've started pacing themselves.

John Burgess likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'll wait until they make it into a movie.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m not interested, especially at the mints prices.

10. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

yup, bought a PDS quarter set. Why? Not sure yet. I'm surprised they sold out so quickly though.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I’ll buy one if it’s part of the annual silver Proof set. Otherwise I have little interest.

LakeEffect likes this.
  12. LakeEffect

I inquired on the mint's web site if the new quarters would be included in the silver proof set. They responded that they intended to include them but the composition was still undecided.

I'm sure if they are included they will be silver as it would make no sense to add clad quarters to the silver set while also selling a silver quarter set separately.

Adding the new quarters would make the outrageous price for the silver proof set a little more palatable.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the "outrageous price" for the silver Proof set will be more outrageous if there are more coins in it.

The current policies of the U.S. Mint are to make "rarities" for flippers to sell and soak the pants off collectors for everything they buy. When you are charging over $30 for a commemorative half dollar in copper-nickel clad, you are really on your high horse.

LakeEffect likes this.
  14. LakeEffect

Yeah, that occurred to me as I was typing the above last night.

The mint shows a price of $73 for this year's silver quarters. Last year's silver proof set was $105. Probably optimistic (dumb) to think they'll throw in the quarters for the same $105 price.

15. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

Currently, ALL purchase options are ‘unavailable’, even the P&D 100 coin bags. I received my PDS roll set today from my enrollment, and the coins from all 3 mints are EXCEPTIONALLY well struck, with very clean surfaces & sharp strikes, like the S mint ATB quarters. It wouldn’t surprise me much if these are considered specimen strikes in slabs.

Draft saved Draft deleted