Featured Devastated SYRIA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Since my two favorite hobbies are coin collecting and astronomy, I'm always trying to share my spare times equally between them. But sometimes the opportunity presents itself to join the 2 together. In war-torn Syria, a white trail streaked the night sky above the ruins of the deserted city of Ariha, devastated by violence.
    [​IMG]

The appearance on Saturday before dawn of the Milky Way, a rare phenomenon that occurs especially in summer by moonless sky, created a striking contrast between sky and earth, immortalized by an AFP photographer through long exposure photos.

[​IMG]

Beneath this vast cloud of stars, the skeletons of buildings, the rubble, the gutted facades and roofs seem all the more appalling.

[​IMG]

The conflict in Syria, sparked in 2011 by the suppression of pro-democracy protests by Damascus, has already killed more than 380,000 people (including more than 115,000 civilians) and forced millions to flee. What a sad, very sad story my friends...
    Now a note about Syria and coinage ; This magnificent region had, for
    ages before its subjugation by republican Rome, been governed by a succession of indépendant kings, conspicuous among whom were the Seleucidae. The epoch when Syria became a Roman province is not precisely known ; probably it was Pompey the Great who reduced it to that condition, as he appeals to have invested its municipal authorities with the privilege of coining money (autonomes). It stands afterwards recorded amongst the provinces of the empire, under Julius Caesar and Augustus. The Syrians were especially devoted to the worship of the Sun ; at the same time acknowledging Jupiter and Apollo as the chief, if not only, divinities.
    Syrians held considerable amounts of power during the Severan dynasty. The matriarch of the family and Empress of Rome as wife of emperor Septimius Severus was Julia Domna, a Syrian from the city of Emesa, whose family held hereditary rights to the priesthood of the god El-Gabal. Her great nephews, also Arabs from Syria, would also become Roman Emperors, the first being Elagabalus and the second, his cousin Alexander Severus. Another Roman emperor who was a Syrian was Philip the Arab, who was born in Roman Arabia. He was emperor from 244 to 249, and during his reign, he focused on his home town of Philippopolis and began many construction projects to improve the city, most of which were halted after his death. Now please show us your coins of Syria !

Diadumenian
    Antioch,Seleucis & Pieria Syria
    6C442585-7B80-41E8-88C4-99224EFAC0CE.jpeg
    Geta
    Heliopolis Syria
    28E47069-B23C-4847-B15A-3FA5F3F343BB.jpeg

Philip the Arab
    Damascus, Coele Syria Syria
    6F63A1A6-9FFF-4AA6-A37C-C815BF6A404F.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Caracalla
    Tetradrachm of Antioch
    IMG-6899-removebg-preview.png

4. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

5. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

@Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, those photos have quite the contrast within in them with the beautiful and distant stars of the night sky and the close-up destruction of war-torn Syria.

Here are a couple of Seleucid coins that were minted in Syrian Antioch (Antioch on the Orontes):

Seleceud Antiochus Epiphances IV Diademed Zeus Nikephoros.jpg
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes

Antiochos IX Philopater.jpg
    Antiochus IX Philopater

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SYRIA

upload_2020-6-27_19-12-3.png
    RI Publius Quinctilius Varus 5-4 BCE AE20 8.0g Tetrachalkon Zeus Tyche Orontes Antioch Yr ZK RPC 4252 SNG Cop 92

upload_2020-6-27_19-12-46.png
    Seleukid Demetrios I Soter 162-150 BCE AE 17 serrate 16.8mm 3.9g Antioch on Orontes mint Horse Hd L - Elephant Hd R- SC 1646 SNG Spaer 1299-1304

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

8. Alegandron

MILITARY MINT IN SYRIA

upload_2020-6-27_19-24-29.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528-2a Sear 1507

9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I just saw @TIF and @Bing in the "like this thread list". Just wanna tell you ( and other members I certainly missed) we do not forget you who live in the "devastated states". Please be careful with the damn virus in Texas and Florida, take care of you & your family!

11. Alegandron

CASTOR & POLLUX / POLYDEUKES / DIOSCURI

upload_2020-6-27_19-33-40.png
    upload_2020-6-27_19-34-13.png
    Roman Republic
    AR Sestertius
    After 211 BCE
    12mm 1.0g
    Rome mint
    Obv: Roma r IIS -
    Rev: Dioscuri riding stars in
    ex ROMA
    Sear 46 Craw 44-7 RSC 4

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Haunting and sobering images, @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix!
    Thank you for the well wishes. Things are certainly heating up here, COVID-wise. I can't believe the arguments erupting over the mask wearing, of all the stupid things to fight about!

[​IMG]
    CILICIA, Tarsos. Valerian I
    253-260 CE
    AE 32 mm, 19.06 gm
    Obv: AVKΛΙΠOVΛΙOVAΛЄPIANOCCЄ; Π - Π; radiate, draped, and cuirassed (?) bust right.
    Rev: TAPCOVMH TP OΠOΛЄΩC; A/M/K - Γ/Γ in fields; KOINOBOVΛION ЄΛЄVΘЄ__ in exergue; Athena seated left on throne, holding cornucopia and dropping a voting pebble into amphora to left; shield below.
    Ref: SNG Levante 1193; SNG BN 1821-2 (I do not have these reference books; references taken from similar ex CNG coin)
    ex Doug Smith

[​IMG]
    SYRIA, Laodicea ad Mare. Septimius Severus & Julia Domna
    CE 193-211
    Æ, 31 mm 18.8 gm
    Obv: jugate draped busts right of Septimius Severus, radiate and cuirassed and Julia Domna, set on crescent; countermarks: 1) C(AΓ) within rectangular incuse; 2) COL within rectangular incuse
    Rev: Marsyas standing left, right hand raised, holding wineskin over his left shoulder
    Ref: SNG Righetti 2114; Howgego 581 and 586
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection

13. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great post as usual, O. Here are 3 bronzes of Nerva, Domitian, and Vespasian from Antioch.

CED48B63-8D1F-4454-9E4A-8FB888B41AE6.jpeg
    3E137C26-BB76-469B-A5BE-1715BE2E3B90.jpeg
    5739773F-38D6-48A2-933F-E2A247D60CDE.jpeg

Tetradrachms of Trajan Decius, Philip I, and Philip II from Antioch
    EFE32007-D5B8-42C0-9C64-2928119DD809.jpeg
    CE5B0E6E-46CA-4D32-BBBB-AD2F7B9BE0A3.jpeg
    81C0EEC6-9679-406F-9D39-6884F04AA495.jpeg

14. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

From the capital
    g333.jpg
    Demetrios III
    Mint: Damascus
    Year 217, 96 to 95 BC
    Obvs: Demetrios III right diademed radiate and bearded.
    Revs: BA⊂IΛEΩ⊂ ΔHMHTPIOV ΘEOV ΦIΛOΠATOPO⊂ ⊂ΩTHPO⊂, Nike holding wreath and palm within dotted border. Year Iǀϵ below, Δǀ above N outer left.
    AE 19x20mm, 5.97g
    SC 2454.4; HGC 9, 1309(C-S)

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Those photos are phenomenal!

(As is that Julian II/bull that @bcuda posted, which I couldn't take my eye off of...)

16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A favorite:

[​IMG]
    Cleopatra Thea, Queen of Syria, with son Antiochus VIII.
    AR tetradrachm; 15.85 gm, 27 mm.
    Antioch mint, 125-121 BC.
    Obv: Jugate busts, right.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, Zeus Nikephoros seated l., holding lotus-tipped scepter; IE outer left, A under throne.
    Refs: SNG Spaer 2437; c.f. Sear 7135.
    Notes: Ex-Henry Clay Lindgren. Obverse die match to an example sold in Baldwin's, Dmitry Markov and M&M Numismatics New York Sale IX, January 13, 2005.

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks for thinking of us. We are doing our best to stay safe. I hope everyone on this forum can remain safe and I just wish this dern thing would go away!!!

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wonderful photos, as sad as some of them are.

Here are my coins minted in Syria:

Syria, Seleucid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypon) Tetradrachm, 109-96 BCE Antioch Mint.

Detail Antiochos VIII tetradrachm.jpg

Trajan AR Drachm, 115-Feb. 116 AD, Arabia Bostra (or Rome) Mint. [If minted in Arabia Bostra, that town was located in what is now Syria.]

Trajan - Drachm, Arabia Bostra, Camel reverse - jpg version.jpg

Elagabalus AR Denarius, 218-219 AD, Antioch Mint.

youthful Elagabalus jpg version.jpg

Philip II, billon Tetradrachm, 248-249 AD, Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch Mint.

Philip II Tetradrachm Prieur 474 (larger image) jpg version.jpg

Vabalathus with Aurelian, billon Antoninianus, 270-272 AD, Antioch Mint (3rd Officina).

Aurelian with Vabalathus jpg version.jpg

Carus, silvered AE Antoninianus, 283 AD, Antioch Mint.

Carus denarius jpg version.jpg

Diocletian, silvered AE Antoninianus, 293-294 AD, Antioch Mint (7th Officina).

Diocletian Ant Obv 1.jpg

Diocletian Ant Rev 2.jpg

19. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

And speaking of humanitarian disasters, let us not forget the suffering of the people of Yemen. When I think of all the challenges the world faces, I sometimes cannot help but be pessimistic.

Here's a Persian imitation of a Justin II and Sophia follis that I acquired in 2019.

Persian Occupation of Syria Æ26. AD 610-630. Imitating a Byzantine nummus of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. Two emperors standing facing / Large M with cross above; Γ below, ANN to left, ϚII ("year 8") to right, ONIX in exergue. Pottier 39.1; EBBC Class IV(2) 20.40; cf. Roma E-Live 4, 1025. 6.90g, 26mm, 1h.

[​IMG]

For Yemen, here is a tetradrachm, an imitation of a 4th century BC Athens tetradrachm, from the kingdom of Qataban, located in Southern Arabia, in what is now Yemen. I acquired this coin in 2016.

ARABIA, Southern. Qataban. Late 4th-3rd centuries BC. AR Tetradrachm (21mm, 16.86 g, 8h). Imitating Athens. Helmeted head of Athena left / Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent behind, AΘE to right; all within incuse square. Munro-Hay 1.0.4.

[​IMG]

20. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Maximianus, AE Follis. Antioch, ca. 300 AD.

Maximian-removebg-preview.png

21. Alegandron

For Yemen

Himyar

[​IMG]
    Arabia Felix, Himyarite Kings, Tha’ Ran Ya’ NB
    Ar Unit (Quinarius), 14mm, 1.5g, 5h; Raidan mint, 2nd Century AD.
    Obv.: Head right, within circular torque, monogram behind.
    Rev.: Head right, scepter before, kings name and mint in South Arabian Script around.
    Reference: Munro-Hay 3.25

Draft saved Draft deleted