Determining a coin's value, should we use ebay or PCGS/NGC?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by error_koin, Mar 13, 2017.

1. error_koin

error_koin New Member

What is the preferred way to determine valuation of a coin? Is it Ebay, where you can see actual bid activity, or the PCGS/NGC website that shows what think believe is a coin's valuation? Sometimes I notice a large discrepancy between PCGS values and Ebay completed transactions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I'd say ebay. PCGS has the full market retail value (ie what a dealer would probably sell it for). Ebay gives you the real world value (ie what YOU could probably sell it for).

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Check the bidding history on Great Collections and Heritage Auctions, too.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's an awful lot of noise in eBay sale "data". Even after you learn to search for Sold listings (as opposed to active "asking price" BIN listings or completed-with-no-bids listings), it's very difficult to weed out the ones that were returned, never mind the ones that were mis-classified, poorly described, under/over-flattered in photographs...

doug444 likes this.
  6. error_koin

error_koin New Member

Will check Great Coll./Heritage, thanks. And some of the PCGS graded coins on ebay will be sold for $30-40... it's costs that much just to get the coin graded. A lot of my Cherrypicker silver quarters I'm finding seem of no real value if I have to get them graded. I have no membership so I'd have to sign up for that, plus pay the $20-30 per-coin grading fee.

7. -jeffB

That's right. Getting a common circulated clad quarter slabbed does not raise its value to 25 cents plus the cost of grading.

ddddd likes this.
  8. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

ANACS has a deal going this month for $ 8.00 a coin up to fifteen coins gold or silver.

9. error_koin

error_koin New Member

Nice. With the limited Google research I've done, I was given the impression that PCGS is the only way to go when it comes to accurate grading. But for $8 I will research ANACS more.

10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

For many coins valued at less than, say, $150, it is difficult to recapture PCGS/NGC grading fees. Anacs is a cheaper option, I have used them some and I'm not down on them for lower value coins, but their slabs do get less respect.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. -jeffB

Wow, wonder how I missed that one?

Ah. I hadn't checked that email address today.

That's quite a deal, but if I'm reading it correctly, it's for at least 15 coins, not up to 15 coins. That makes it a bit more challenging for me.

I wonder if they'll consider a certain line of restrikes eligible for the deal...

Edit: Up to $2K valuation per coin! The highest limit I'd seen previously was $500...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There's no real justification - aside authenticity questions - for slabbing a coin whose value doesn't exceed $100, and even then only if you can incorporate the cost of slabbing and still sell at a profit.

Draft saved Draft deleted