Featured Desultors (don't try this at home)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carausius, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I've recently added two coins to my collection depicting desultors. These new acquisitions join a third desultor coin that I've owned for some time. I'd like to share some background information on desultors, followed by the coins!

Desultors were equestrian acrobats who thrilled crowds by controlling two horses and leaping from one horse to another at full gallop. This acrobatic riding was not necessarily the work of professionals, as Suetonius reported that young men “of the highest rank” engaged in the practice during the games of Julius Caesar’s triumphal celebrations (Suet. Deified Julius XXXIX). The practice, with four horses, is referenced in the Illiad (II.15.680), so likely dates to Homeric times or earlier, and may have evolved from Minoan bull leaping and similar acrobatics with animals. Livy references that Numidian cavalry took two horses apiece and, like circus performers, jumped fully armed from a weary mount to a fresh one (Liv xxiii 29).

A Roman desultor, as depicted on Roman Republican coins, rode two horses, bare-back, which he managed by reins and whip, and he wore a pileus (felt cap) typically associated with the Dioscuri. The pileus raises the possibility that the practice had religious connotations rather than a mere circus trick. The Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, were paternal twin sons of Jupiter and Leda and were often depicted wearing felt pilei and riding horses. They had a strong following in Rome, with a temple consecrated to them in the Roman Forum in 484 BCE by A. Postumius after his victory in the Battle of Lake Regillus, in which Castor and Pollux reportedly guided the Romans to victory over the Latins. Pollux was immortal and Castor was mortal. Following the death of Castor, the twins shared Pollux’s immortality by swapping places each day between Hades and Mount Olympus. The desultor, wearing a Dioscurus’ cap and riding two horses, likely represents either one of the twins with their two horses.

Despite the representative link to the Dioscuri, the desultor’s appearance on a coin type is typically an allusion to games. It's not entirely clear whether desultors raced or performed against each other in some judged competition. The inclusion of wreaths and palms behind the desultors on two of the coins described below suggests that there may have been competition and victors chosen - or these "prize" devices may be general references to the games.

Desultors appear on several Republican coin types, including Crawford 297/1, 346/1, 480/21 and 480/22. I'll illustrate three of these types with coins from my collection.

1162016_1588750426.l.jpg

Rome, The Republic.
    C. Marcius Censorinus, 88 BCE.
    AR Denarius (3.99g; 18mm)
    Rome Mint.

Obverse: Jugate, diademed heads of Numa Pompilius and Ancus Marcius, facing right.

Reverse: Desultor, wearing conical cap and holding whip and reins, riding one horse galloping right, with second horse to left; four pellets beneath; C.CENSO in exergue.

References: Crawford 346/1h; Sydenham 713d; BMCRR 2367 var (fractional symbol on rev); Banti 31 (R7) (this coin illustrated); Marcia 18.

Provenance: Ex Numismatica Ars Classica (25 May 2020), Lot 536; Bank Leu (Dec 1970), Lot 104.

The moneyer, C. Marcius Censorinus, was a supporter of Marius in the struggle against Sulla. He was killed during the conflict circa 82 BCE. He was a member of the gens Marcia, who claimed descent from the early Roman kings Numa Pompilius and Ancus Marcius. The jugate heads of Pompilius and Marcius are used on much of Censorinus’ silver and bronze coinage. Numa Pompilius was the legendary 2nd king of Rome, who is crediting with establishment of Roman religion and religious institutions. Among these institutions were the sacred college of priests and the position of Pontifex Maximus. Ancus Marcius was the legendary 4th king of Rome. Ancus Marcius ordered the Pontifex Maximus to display some of Numa Pompilius’ religious commentaries to the people of Rome to facilitate proper religious observance.

The reverse likely refers to the role of the Marcia gens in founding the Ludi Appolinares in 212 BCE. It was the prophecy of a soothsayer named Marcius that instigated the first of these games during the Second Punic War. They were soon declared an annual event, held at the Circus Maximus. Desultors, horse and chariot races would certainly have been part of the entertainment.

SepuliusMacerClemency.jpg

Rome, Moneyers of the Imperatorial Period.
    P. Sepullius Macer, 44 BCE.
    AR Denarius (4.15g; 18mm).
    Rome Mint, April-May 44 BCE.

Obverse: CLEMENTIAE CAESAREIS; Tetrastyle temple with globe in pediment.

Reverse: Desultor wearing conical cap and holding reins and whip, galloping left with 2 horses, palm branch and wreath behind; P SEPVLLIVS above; MACER below.

References: Crawford 480/21; Sear, HCRI 110; Sydenham 1076 (R6); BMCRR 4176-7; Julia 52; Alföldi, Caesar in 44 BC, plate 148-1 (this coin illustrated); FFC 42 (this coin illustrated).

Provenance: Ex Heritage 3083 (24 Apr 2020), Lot 30103; Jose Fernandez Molina Collection a/k/a Alba Longa Collection [Aureo & Calico 339 (14 Nov 2019), Lot 1043]; Leo Benz Collection [Lanz 88 (23 Nov 1998), Lot 782]; Auctiones (12 Jun 1979), Lot 467; Munzen und Medaillen Auction XXVIII (19 Jun 1964), Lot 239.

Reverse die links to Crawford 480/22 (see below), identify this type as one of the earliest issued after Caesar’s assassination, when Antony tried to assert control of Rome. The type is scarce, with Crawford reporting only 5 obverse and 6 reverse dies, and this coin has a rare obverse die with CAESAREIS rather than CAESARIS. Julius Caesar was well known for offering clemency toward his vanquished rivals throughout his career, including toward many of his assassins who had sided with Pompey during the Civil War. The obverse of this coin refers to the temple to Caesar’s mercy that the Senate had authorized shortly before the Ides of March. The temple is depicted with minimal special detail because it had certainly not been constructed and possibly not even designed by the time this coin was struck. The remains of this temple have never been found. Some historians believe the temple was never constructed because Octavian (later Augustus), who did not share his uncle’s predilection for clemency toward enemies, did not wish the temple to become a source for unfavorable comparisons. The desultor on the reverse alludes to the Parilian games held in April 44 BCE, after the assassination, in honor of Caesar’s victory at Munda.

p63B2jD9r8bT4Q4rwj7N6YLyGea59X.jpg

Rome, Moneyers of the Imperatorial Period.
    Marcus Antonius, Apr-May 44 BCE
    AR Denarius (4.09g; 19mm)
    Rome Mint.

Obverse: Antony's bearded, veiled head facing right; jug behind; lituus before.

Reverse: P.SEPVLLIVS//MACER. Desultor on horseback, holding whip, galloping right with second horse; wreath and palm behind.

References: Crawford 480/22; HCRI 142; Antonia 2.

Provenance: Ex Kuenker 262 (13 Mar 2015), Lot 7819; Gorny & Mosch 141 (10 Oct 2005), Lot 238; Gorny & Mosch 133 (11 Oct 2004), Lot 378; Argenor Auction 6 (22 Apr 2004) Lot 114.

Also minted shortly after the assassination of Julius Caesar, this denarius depicts Antony in mourning - veiled and unshaven - likely as he appeared in the Forum when he gave his famous funeral oration. It is probably the first depiction of Antony on a coin. The reverse shows a desultor with two horses, and refers to the Parilian games held in April 44 BCE, after the assassination, in honor of Caesar’s victory at Munda which were largely dedicated to Caesar's memory. The type can be found in better condition, but rarely this complete.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Cucumbor, Ajax, PeteB and 36 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sorry. I just had to Google "desultors". Thanks for adding my vocabulary word for the day.

Upon seeing the title, my mind went to dementors.

[​IMG]

If you'll forgive one more Hollywood pop culture intrusion, upon seeing the desultors' conical caps, my mind went astray one more time:

[​IMG]

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great write up Carausius, thanks.

The dioscuri are half brothers , they share the same mother Leda. the father of Pollux is Zeus thats why he is immortal. Castor' father is the King of Sparta thats why he is mortal.

P1160694gemini sky medium.jpg

Cucumbor, DonnaML, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have heard of the term. Thank you for enlightening me.

On a whim, I looked up the word desultory, since I've heard that word used before. Here is how dictionary.com defined it:

adjective
    1) lacking in consistency, constancy, or visible order, disconnected; fitful: desultory conversation.
    2) digressing from or unconnected with the main subject; random: a desultory remark.

Interesting how words evolve over time.

DonnaML, lordmarcovan and Carausius like this.
  6. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love it when I learn something new and a new word! I've glanced at these coins before and thought they were just another horse and rider type.

Same here :D.

DonnaML, Carausius and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Nice to see you posting again @TIF . I was thinking that if I had your creative talents, I would have made the horses on one of these coins gallop. That's not a challenge, just a comment. ;)

TIF likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

I'd love to make an animated gif but right now I'm working on a tax raise protest for my mom's house. Ugh.

Carausius likes this.
  10. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Carausius, excellent write-up and coins! Here is a desultor who just missed being fully decapitated by the celator, perhaps the celator was on the side of Sulla. Censorinus Desultor 88BC.jpg
    C. Censorinus, 88 BC, AR Denarius, Rome mint
    Obv: Jugate, diademed heads right of Numa Pompilius, bearded, and Ancus Marcius
    Rev: C • CENSO in exergue, two horses galloping right; a desultor riding the nearest one, wearing conical hat and holding whip in right hand; XX below
    Ref: Crawford 346/1b (obv no control, rev control numeral)

It was not a pretty time in Rome. After the departure of Sulla for war with Mithridates VI of Pontus, Marius and Cinna retook Rome. Censorinus, a supporter of Marius, executed the consul of 87 BC, Octavius, who got on the wrong side of Cinna one time too many.
    "Here he [Octavius] was attacked by Censorinus with a body of horse, and again his friends and the soldiers who stood by him urged him to fly and brought him his horse, but he disdained even to arise, and awaited death. Censorinus cut off his head and carried it to Cinna, and it was suspended in the forum in front of the rostra, the first head of a consul that was so exposed. After him the heads of others who were slain were suspended there; and this shocking custom, which began with Octavius, was not discontinued, but was handed down to subsequent massacres."
    -Appian, The Civil Wars 71.1

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    zumbly, robinjojo, DonnaML and 4 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bummed, @Carausius ... really liked your first one you got 3 years ago when you first posted it. I still have not captured one. Now you got 2 more. Great job, and super examples.

Carausius likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Crazy stuff

Draft saved Draft deleted