Despot Manuel Komnenos-Ducas Trachy (1230-1237)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Trachy Enjoyer, Feb 16, 2021.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Okay Another fun one, large module 29mm 2.8gm.
    e3.jpg
    The emperor reminds me of John III or Theodore. The obverse has me stumped. Seated saint? My guess is SBCV-2142

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    DiomedesofArgos and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Trachy Enjoyer

The Trachy Enjoyer Well-Known Member

Obverse looks like St George or Tryphon with A in a circle to the left and ω on the right.

Obverse (what I can make out):
    A (within circle)
    TV?

ω P

I agree with the Theodore II identification as the style doesn't look like John III to me. As for identification:

EMPIRE OF NICAEA. Theodore II Ducas-Lascaris (1254-1258). Billon-Aspron Trachy.
    Obv: St. Tryphon standing facing, nimbate and wearing pallium and colobium; in right hand he holds small cross before his breast; to left, A within O / TPV, floral ornament beneath; to right, IΦω with floral ornament beneath.
    Rev: ΘΕΟΔWPOC ΔECΠOTHC ΔɤKAC O ΛΑCΚΑΡΙC. (most legends are fragmentary or non existent from what I have seen)
    Theodore standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding labarum and globe cruciger; manus dei in upper field to right.
    Sear 2142.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1841141 (wrong sear number)

(This being a tenuous attribution. Seems to be a match)

DiomedesofArgos likes this.
  4. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Okay, I angled the obverse of the coin, this will confirm it is SBCV-2142
    e5.jpg

5. The Trachy Enjoyer

The Trachy Enjoyer Well-Known Member

Congrats friend! Tryphon is harder saint to get (I don't have one....:shame:yet. Hopefully one comes up cheap soon). Theodore II, although not the rarest ruler, certainly isn't the most common. The coin on the whole is pretty rare and probably won't come up for sale in a while! Nice find and great piece

6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

okay how about this, I would like another opinion.

Andronicus III SBCV-2486 Obv armed saint of some sort, Not so sure of a second cross in Andronicus III l hand. 19mm
    f3.jpg

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted