Desktop LED photographic lighting question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MontCollector, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I was on Amazon this evening looking for some books for the wife for Christmas. Well I decided to look for some better lighting for my coin photography setup as well. I don't have a lot of room so I currently have 2 desk lamps. One is an OTT light and the other is a simple clamp-on swivel lamp.

My question is does anyone have some desk top Led lighting they would recommend? I would like em with goose necks so they can be move into different positions easily. I did see some on Amazon, but none with goose necks.

I don't have a huge budget for these, but would love to hear some feedback from anyone who uses them.

Thanks...Mont.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Do you have an Ikea close by? If so, you have a source of some of the most popular lighting for coin photography. The Janso LED light is exactly what you are asking for. It's small, bright, has a goose neck and is inexpensive. They run about $10.00 each if you have an Ikea close by, if not, then you'll have to pay for shipping.

Kasia, Pickin and Grinin and longshot like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I have two of the little Jansjo LED lamps. They're compact and really great.

PS- this was the one that just happened to come up at the top of my Google search results, but obviously there are other options. The one shown is white and has a clamp base. Mine are black and have regular weighted stand bases, but are essentially the same thing.

5. MontCollector

These are exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a lot!!!!

Unfortunately there in no Ikea near by. Heck I have actually never been to an Ikea store before.
    Thanks for the link..I was able to find the black weighted ones with just one click on that page.:happy:

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

RonSanderson and dwhiz like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Amazon's got them. And don't mix your lighting.........it makes havoc with the 'white balance'.

Kasia likes this.
  9. MontCollector

I saw that after knowing what to search for. After seeing the price + shipping I think I will just order them from Ikea.

I have noticed this. This is why usually use just the OTT lamp. But this puts out too wide of a light field and it's wide goose neck is hard to maneuver. Either way I usually run a manual white balance on my Canon T3 as well as run a white balance check in post editing before cropping. White balance and cropping is the only editing I do.

ldhair and green18 like this.
  10. MontCollector

So 2 of them provides enough lighting for coins then? Just making sure before I order.

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, definitely.

12. MontCollector

Just ordered 2 of the black weighted-base goose necks. Thanks all!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. robec

robec Junior Member

Be prepared to use some sort of diffusion on each light otherwise you will be very disappointed. These lights are just about the opposite of your OTT light. Without diffusion the range of light will be too narrow, almost pinpoint. Once you have them diffused you will be very happy.

MontCollector and jtlee321 like this.
  14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

what is the best way to diffuse them?

15. robec

robec Junior Member

Some use tissue paper. I use a sort of vellum type paper. I saw another poster use a ping pong ball.

Kasia likes this.
  16. robec

robec Junior Member

I've tried using the cap from a fifty cent size coin tube. Another member used the tube, but I couldn't get the tube to fit over the light head. These took up more space than I wanted to give up.

[​IMG]

Nas, Kasia and jtlee321 like this.
  17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Neat... I have some caps like that.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

...also known as Kermit the Frog eyeballs.

19. MontCollector

Thanks...will do. I don't have any tubes to steal the caps from so I guess tissue paper will have to do.:shame:

20. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Some use coffee filters for diffusion.

Kasia and longshot like this.
  21. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Someone in another thread mentioned using ping-pong balls, or multiple ping-pong balls to diffuse the light. (Cutting holes in them and fixing them over the light source, obviously).

Draft saved Draft deleted