Desire for eye appeal can be a curse.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, Oct 3, 2005.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

• 1st one I've seen in 5-6 years in any condition
    • current high bidder is a Japanese dealer who never goes full value
    • Unc Krause is $550, and JNDA is almost $900
    but >> click and see for yourself >> why I just can't bring myself to go $105.10. :mad:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No doubt - the eye appeal is somewhat lacking :rolleyes:

I'm sure you realize that under that black toning you will likely find corrosion. I also suspect that some of that black toning has been removed already. Knowing that - if it were me, I would continue to wait rather than purchase this example no matter how scarce it may be.

Unless of course it goes for a song :D

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Looks like the bid is up over $200 now.I wonder who graded it MS64? I'm not saying it isn't but it doesn't appear to be slabbed.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

When an uncertified coin is offered at auction with a grade attached, it is the seller's opinion. There are a number of EBay sellers whose opinions on grade I respect a whole lot more than SGS, and other slabbers. :p

6. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

I'm with you there. That blackness is actually advanced pvc damage. It has been stored in a pvc flip judging from the green that is all too obvious.

Whether or not that coin has seen `circulation' is completely immaterial. To put not too fine a word on it, it's goosed.

Sure, it might be conservable but I would be concerned that the black might actually hide pitting. Bit like removing gum or some such detritus from a coin. always some problem uncovered....even though it's only a different shade where the affected area hasn't toneds like the rest.

When I looked the bidding was at $202.50. A bit of a bargain for a rare coin..... if it was truly `uncirculated' AND problem free. It isn't. Not my call, but if it were me I think I would give it a 'bye. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted