Desirable toning?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Blissskr, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I bought this proof set awhile ago and set it aside because the toning and I just attempted to take pictures of it. The half and quarter both have an orange toning to them, while the nickel has a violet or purple color to it. Really hard to get an accurate photo of the color but this is the best I could do on my attempts. Is this type of toning desirable or bring much of a premium to those who like toned coins?

IMG_1007.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1034.JPG

SSG_Gonzo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It doesn't move me, but I'm not a toner guy. I think the coins could generate interest among those who follow the effect........

Blissskr likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There appears to be some sort of residue in the cello housing the coins. Look all around the edges with high magnification and see if you can detect any tiny pinholes. They may have been gassed.

Chris

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, only the 5c.

Blissskr likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Like all toning. Some will like it and others wont. The 5c in nice. Not sure what I think about the others.

Blissskr likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I like it a whole lot more than a white coin

Blissskr likes this.
  8. Insider

The coins turned IMO the "nasty" not market acceptable color because the package is broken letting what looks like high sulfur content in the air tone the coins. The OP knows the toning is OK but it is a good bet the half would be called AT at the grading service.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I like it, and don't see anything nefarious. It just looks like mint bag toning to me, and that is pretty common--there aren't any wild, artificial looking colors.

Blissskr likes this.
  10. Insider

Sorry to disagree. I don't know how many Original Mint Sewn Bags you have opened; I have only opened one (not counting dozens of "modern's") bag of Morgan's but I have watched as many were opened during the "Treasury Rush."
    I have NEVER, EVER seen a coin from a bag with the full color (that looks artificial) of that half or quarter. Note: I have seen those colors in cases like the OP's set.

So, As I wrote before, IMO the half and quarter will be called Artificial (even though they are not) by a TPGS. THE ONLY WAY to get around this would be to send the entire package to the TPGS and request they slab only the coins you wish.

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I like the nickel.

Blissskr likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not a big toning guy but those don't do much for me. The orange downright looks strange.

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is really hard to get bag toning from a mint cello....

To the OP - I like toning, but those look more like haziness to me. I don't find them attractive, personally. This type of look is fairly common on these cello proof sets, so I don't think you'd have trouble getting them slabbed - but they aren't worth it. Again, just my opinion.

14. Insider

This time I'll disagree with you :kiss:. The half and quarter are DEEPLY OXIDIZED. Haze implies a light surface covering that can usually be wiped off with a finger o_O:eek:
    BUT WE don't try that!:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted