Denied a Silver Coin at Bank

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dave_in_delaware, Nov 25, 2016.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I stopped by a few of my local bank branches today to clean them out of $2 bills, and also ask for Dollar coins and Half dollars if they weren't too busy. It was Black Friday after all....

Usually, they pull out their coin drawer/organizer and happily clear out the section I ask for. Apparently $2 bills are evil, and the half dollars and dollar coins are a burden to count(?).

But today, at one branch (my regular branch bank), the teller told me I can have all of them "but this one." (she had all the coins on the counter top, so I could see her grabbing them all but the one in the front). She wouldn't give me that particular coin.

When I asked why, she said "it is silver."

And then I said "So I can't have that one, too?"

And she said "no. sorry."

Um...................... what??

I, as a customer of that bank, should receive what I ask for, right? Can a bank teller refuse to give out money because they want it for themselves?

I guess I feel a little deceived or cheated because I *SAW* the coin in her coin tray, she even touched it, but said I cannot have it.

Sure, I understand that you work at the bank. You saw it first and want to keep it. It's silver, after all. I get that. But put it aside, hide it, DON'T LET ME SEE IT AND SAY I CAN'T HAVE IT!! That's just wrong.

OK, I'm fine. I vented. It was only one coin. But being denied the coin after asking for all she has of that type just seems a little not right, especially after seeing it.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

asheland likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Don't get to riled up about it....LUCKY YOU found the 1 in a 1000 tellers that knows something about coins. :D

I'm fortunate to have the opposite results.
    When I make my deposit for work...I get HEY when your done, don't run off I have something for you. Its been anything from silver coins or silver certificates to gold plated Kennedy halfs.

4. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I wasn't riled up at the time. I was just a little... I don't know... bummed about it. I didn't realize a bank could refuse to give you money, when you're a regular customer.

I suppose I was more in shock about it. I never expected a "no, sorry. Not giving that one to you."

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah. It happened to me once with a Kennedy. I told her to keep it and it's great she knew to keep an eye out for silver. Hey it's karma man. I'm not going to get upset because an astute teller was on her game. Another bus always comes along ;)

Eaglefawn and Nathan401 like this.
  6. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the problem is, honestly... Good for her!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh, good God! Has it now gotten to the point where customers can DEMAND and get whatever they want? While you're at it, why don't you DEMAND a higher interest rate for your CD's and a lower interest rate for your home mortgage.

Better yet, why don't you buy the bank and fire that teller!

Chris

8. rte

rte Well-Known Member

He said he wasn't that upset.

I was at a Black Jack table where they still use half dollars in the chip rack.
    I was eyeballing the rack and finally asked the dealer IF I could check out that 4th half dollar from the bottom....He pulls it up and I ask whats the date on it?
    1967 I'LL take it and tossed him a $5 chip for change. :D
    The rest of the people playing all look at me funny....Whats up??
    I said it's 40% silver and worth about $3.50.

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am not a roll hunter, silver searcher, etc, but my bank ladies know I buy and sell coins, and know I like spending odd money ($2's, etc.). They told me it was against their policy for them to keep any money if a customer wanted it. Probably most banks have that policy as well.

carpman98 likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Another story for my file "Modern Customer Service or You Ought to Consider It a Privilege to do Business With Me.":confused:

Eaglefawn likes this.
  11. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

How do you know she was keeping it for herself? Maybe the bank has a policy that all silver coins be collected at the end of the day to boost profits? This might be the case if you're dealing with a small regional bank.

I don't think the bank is obligated, in any way, to give you "what you ask for" in change. They can act in obeisance to the request, but at the end of the day, it's a request. They're not obligated to provide the specific change you want, merely the total dollar value of the transaction.

12. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

That has happened to me many times over the years. Annoying? Yes. That big of a deal? No.

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

She found it first.

15. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I have a couple relatives who work at the same bank, different branches and that particular banks policy is that the tellers may take the money that they want, and withdraw the total from their account, they can also bring it back and redeposit it if they decide they don't want it after all.
    I'm sure policies differ from bank to bank though...

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Has happened to me too, at a supermarket a while ago. Guess it's the same with pretty much every business, grocery store, gas station, etc.: Of course the customer should get the correct change back, but it does not have to be this particular coin or that particular bill. ;)

Christian

17. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Bank tellers are at the bottom of the bank's pecking order and their salary reflects that. So if a teller finds a silver coin and wants to keep it, more power to her/him.

Stevearino, John77, Eaglefawn and 2 others like this.
  18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, he is entitled to his rant, but I'm not entitled to mine?

I'm just saying!

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Treat this as an opportunity, return to the teller regularly, and share your common interest in coins, and perhaps someday he / she will offer to put you first in line to his / her findings. Likely, this teller accumulates everything good from all drawers at the bank.

John77, Eaglefawn and Ana Silverbell like this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Exactly. Flip the situation from one of silver searching at face to one of having a bank insider who can get you silver for spot :)

Stevearino and John77 like this.
  21. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Maybe the teller knows another coin collector and she was saving it for him. There could be another one of you out there and they have already made a verbal deal with the teller to hold the coin until they came. Just think if you had an "in" with a teller to hold cool stuff for you, and then someone comes in before you and demands to be given the stuff set aside for you. I bet you would be upset then.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

carpman98, serafino and saltysam-1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted