Denarius of Marcus Aurelius, . . . but which one?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

For those who like a challenge . . .

I have this Denarius of Marcus Aurelius 176 A.D., AR18.1mm., 2.37gm.,
    Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM, Laureate head right,
    Rev: TR P XXX IMP VIII COS III, Felicitas standing left, holding (long) caduceus and Cornucopiae.
    (In R.I.C.), the legends tell me that it is Marcus Aurelius RIC III Rome 352 (or 353), BUT 352 has Roma standing left holding Victory and spear, and 353 has Genius standing naked holding patera and corn ears. Neither coin shows Felicitas, and my coin does not show Roma or Genius.
    This begs the question, does anyone have another reference book that might tell me what coin I have, please?

(1) ANTONINUS PIUS.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    hoth2, Makanudo, galba68 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

RIC 356 seems to fit your reading of the legend and figure?

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Hi @zumbly and @Roman Collector (sorry for the delay - it has just gone 5:00am here).
    RIC 356 reverse legend ends with 'P.P.'. My coin does not. Doesn't this matter?

(I have checked the 'corrigenda' and there is no reference there of 'deleting' the 'P.P.'.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

(EDIT:- Duplication)

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Good point. I checked again online and see dozen or so examples using this ref number which, like yours, don't have the P P. I did find one single example in the RIC OCRE database with the P P (alongside many without). If I were adding your coin to my own database, I'd just go with a "cf. RIC 356", adding a note about the legend difference and how an online search turns up more examples with your legend despite it not noted in RIC.

Topcat7 likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

To me it looks like BMCRE 675 (plate 67,1), RSC 929b which. apparently, is not in Cohen or RIC.

zumbly and Topcat7 like this.
  9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@zumbly I appreciate those comments. I, too, found coins referred to as RIC 356, without the 'P.P.', but I didn't want to compound a mistake (if there was one). I am a collector who likes to be able to 'attribute' his coins so I shall go with RIC III Rome 356 (Var.) as you suggest.

@dougsmit Thanks Doug. I appreciate those references, (just what I hoped for), and I will use them as well.

10. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

Rather than started new thread, I wanted to post my coin with same dilemma as OP.
    I do not have catalogues. I have only online resources as means of attrinuting coins, but this one I wasnt able to find and I ask for your help.
    It is silver, 2.87gr and 19mm

SAM_4243.JPG SAM_4246.JPG

Bing likes this.
  11. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@Makanudo
    I am new to this 'game' and nothing I say should be relied upon (without corroboration), but (from my copy of RIC) I think that you might have a
    MARCUS AURELIUS Denarius 174 A.D.
    Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P (Roman numerals) Laureate head right
    Rev: IMP VII COS III Victory walking R. holding wreath and palm
    Similar to RIC III Rome 301
    (But I could be wrong.)

Magical Snap - 2017.12.16 09.37 - 032.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  12. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I'll check that out.
    Thanks @Topcat7

Draft saved Draft deleted