Democrat versus Republican

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Sep 19, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I would guess that most people who collect coins are also interested in government. There have been endless discussions, (in ancient times the discussions could lead to discombobulation in the Agora or Forum), as to which government produced the finest and best in their citizenry. Well, I don't know if we can settle that but we can ask whether a Democratic or Republican polity produced the best coinage, best, in this case, being the most striking, beautiful or noteworthy, so I propose we post the best example of our coin collections, one from a democratic Greek city-state (yes, I know most were monarchies, oligarchies or tyrannies but we'll consider democracy to be the ideal of the Greek state) and one from the Roman Republic. Below I have posted a stater from Velia in Magna Graecia with Athena and a crouching lion as my most fetching democratic coin. It was minted about 300 BC. (Sear 269). Competing with that is my very pleasing Republican denarius of circa 79 BC with the ever beautiful Diana Artemis with Victory galloping down the final lap to..., IMG_1076[1808]Dem vs Rep obv.jpg IMG_1077[1806]dem vs, rep rev.jpg well, victory. (Sear 310). After endless contemplation. I declare a tie and leave it to others to post their best Democratic Greek and best Republican Roman and see if we can achieve homeostasis as to which kind of state produces the best coinage.

Sulla80, galba68, chrsmat71 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Well from your title, this is not where I thought this thread would be heading lol.

That is a really neat comparison.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't appear to have any democratic coins, but here's a republican:

JPAN7 obverse.JPG JPAN7 reverse.JPG

eparch, Sulla80, galba68 and 12 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Alexander III.jpg
    ALEXANDER III
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Head of Herakles right in lionskin headdress
    REVERSE: ALEXANDROU, Zeus Aetophoros seated left, holding eagle and sceptre. Forepart of Pegasos left in left field, X on W monogram beneath throne
    Struck at Abydos 325-323 BC
    4.2g, 17mm
    Price 1505

VS

ANONYMOUS_ROMAN_REPUBLICAN_3.jpg
    ANONYMOUS ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Didrachm
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Mars left, oak-sprig behind
    REVERSE: ROMANO on tablet below head of bridled horse right, ear of wheat behind
    Struck at Metapontum, 280-276 BC
    19 mm, 6.55g
    Cr13/1, Syd 1

6. kevin McGonigal

Now that coin is a beauty but that's not a fair comparison. Your Victory rated a FOUR horse chariot but if it's a win by a hoof mine is ahead on that final lap.

galba68 and arizonarobin like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Republican :

[​IMG]

Democrat (I thought the following would do the job as a donkey-ish. Thank you Pegasus for pretending :) )

[​IMG]

:D Q

8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Democratic Athens:
    Magna Graecia – Attica, Athen, tetradrachme.png
    Attica, Athens, AR tetradrachm, ca. 440s–430s BC. Obv: head of Athena to right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves and palmette. Rev: AΘE; Owl standing right, head facing; to left, olive sprig and crescent; all within incuse square. 24mm, 17.14g. Ref: Kroll 8. Ex Leu, Webauktion 8, lot 232.

Republican Rome:
    Römische Republik – Denar, Marius Capito, Ceres, Ochsengespann.png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: C. Marius C. f. Capito, AR denarius serratus, 81 BC, Rome mint. Obv: CAPIT; head of Ceres, diademed, r., control number CV; control mark (whip?) before. Rev: C. MARI. C. F. / S. C; ploughman with two oxen l.; above, control number CV. 18mm, 3.88g. Ref: RRC 378/1c. Ex Numismatik Naumann, Auktion 49, lot 518.

Macedonian Monarchy:
    Makedonien – Alexander, Tetradrachme, Herakles Zeus.png
    Alexander III "the Great," Kingdom of Macedonia, Ar tetradrachm, 325–323 BC, Amphipolis mint (under Antipater). Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin. Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, rooster standing left. 26mm, 17.17g. Ref: Price 79; Troxell 1997, issue E3. Ex CNG, e-auction 376, lot 47; ex Tiberius collection; ex AMCC 1, lot 39.

Feudal Holy Roman Empire:

MA – Augsburg, Brakteat, Wolfhard von Roth-Wackernitz, Berger 2656–2661.png
    Prince-Bishopric of Augsburg, under Wolfhard von Roth-Wackernitz, AR bracteate penny, ca. 1290–1330. Obv: bust of bishop facing, wearing mitre, holding crosier and book. Rev: negative design (bracteate). 20.5mm, 0.66g. Ref: Berger 2656–2661; Slg Bonhoff 1919; Steinhilber 94. Ex Emporium Hamburg, Auction 80, lot 1984.

"When things went pear-shaped:"
    Rom – Barbarous Radiate, Stag reverse.png

"Tetricus I" or similar, barbarous radiate, late 3rd century AD, unofficial mint in Gaul or Britain. Obv: [...] I II II, bearded, radiate head r. Rev: V I [...]; human figure riding on stag l.; 13–14mm, 1.38g. Ex Ken Dorney.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Democracy

[​IMG]
    SYRACUSE. Second Democracy, 466-405 BC
    Æ Tetras, 2.7g, 15mm; c.425 BC.
    Obv.: Head of Arethusa right, hair in korymbos, dolphin before and behind, ΣVPA before; all in linear circle.
    Rev.: Octopus and three pellets.
    Reference: SNG ANS 376, Calciati II.21.1, Bérend Pl.VI.11

Republic

[​IMG]
    RR Anon 234-231 BCE AR Heavy Denarius / Didrachm Apollo-Horse prancing Crawford 26-1 Sear 28

10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting thread @kevin McGonigal . I like the gryphon helmet.
    I will go a bit different way with RR coins:
    rep ele dem don.jpg
    Heads only:
    ana coins 011.JPG ana coins 012.JPG 2.28.16a IV obv.JPG 2.28.16a IV rev.JPG
    I have lots more elephants than donkeys.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don't know about beauty, but this is one of the more interesting coins I have from the Roman Republic era.

Rome Republi Quad O.jpg Rome Republi Quad R.jpg

This is an American coin, but it's relevant because Theodore Roosevelt was looking to emulate the high relief Greek coins when he asked Augustus St. Gaudens to replace the “atrociously hideous” U.S. coin designs.

1907 High Relief $20 O twick.jpg 1907 High Relief $20 R twick.jpg

Given that the Roman coins were hammer strikes, it is remarkable that they were able to get good high relief porttaits on the majority of their coins. Here is a denarius of Hadrian. in this case, both sides struck up well.

Hadrian Denarius O.jpg Hadrian Denarius R.jpg

12. kevin McGonigal

That didrachma is a good example of how Romans could make an attractive coin. I wonder, though, if was designed and actually minted by Greek Celators from Magna Graecia.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. kevin McGonigal

I wish we could go back in time and see how they did it. And yes, the Us did produce some quite attractive "Classic coins" like the quarter eagle and half eagle of the 1830's.

14. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Democratic. 1B3B5E34-2D5D-41DB-BBA6-67DDF3468530.jpeg FF821390-D273-46F2-ACE2-EDEFBBD3DC8B.jpeg Republican A6AA7DA6-6C5D-460D-9B94-447797C498B6.jpeg AB602AB1-95EC-42C9-9A88-1FF0EAB67F4D.jpeg

galba68, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I understand this one was the first Silver minted in Rome at the Rome mint.

[​IMG]
    RR Anon 265-242 BCE Heavy Denarius / Didrachm Roma-Victory Crawford 22-1 Sear 25 - First Silver coin MINTED in Rome

Sulla80, Bing, arizonarobin and 3 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Can anyone show an ancient coin of a republic other than Rome? .... a democracy other than Athens? ... a system other than those two or a monarchy?

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are there other examples? I can show modern examples, but I'm not sure of other ancient ones.

18. kevin McGonigal

As the OP of this thread I hereby sanction the coinage of other ancient states. I know that several Athenian colonies had democracies and some which are described as oligarchies may actually have been representative republics, something like medieval Venice. And certainly when a mob took over the Hippodrome in Byzantium the Eastern Roman Empire became something of a democracy, at least for a day or two.

19. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Direct Limited Democracy: Athens

Attica Athena Owl Tet.jpg

Brutal military dictatorship: Syracuse

76945q00 (1).jpg

Republic: Rome

9BybX7TrEx4Gd5Xemy8Nz6MboAi3F2 (1).jpg

Absolute Monarchy: Seleucid Empire

Alexander III Tetradrachm (1).jpg

Imperial government with fictional power sharing between institutions: Rome during the Principate

89797q00.jpg

Imperial government without the pretence of power sharing: Rome during the Dominate

argenteus (1) (1).jpg

Barbarian tribal council-based government: Armorica tribe in Gaul

armorica (1).jpg

Federal democracy: Euboean League

Euboea Histaea.jpg

Imperial government ruled by the son of heaven, and a living divinity himself: Ancient China

SRd5jB4mE7tWHj6ywLQ23cXYGHo89z.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Sulla80, galba68, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  20. kevin McGonigal

I wonder if we did not know about these images from historical records, just what we could conclude about the rulers, the forms of government and the people who issued them. By the way, that Amorican coin might actually represent as pure or direct democracy as anything in ancient Athens.

21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I just posted an additional one, the Euboean League, whose member city states shared a common council with elected representatives who were responsible for creating and maintaining a common system of laws and customs, and shared coinage, and a federal military force that protected all the member states. Probably as close as the ancients got to our federal systems today, or even an EU type government, but on a far smaller and much simpler scale obviously. When it comes to bureaucratic nightmare and unwieldy international institutions, we are far more accomplished at it than our ancestors were.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted