Demand for Ancient Coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MadDogE134, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MadDogE134

MadDogE134 New Member

i have a few very old Vietnamese coins that were brought back during the US conflict. i assume they are Vietnamese but not sure. the coins were brought back in a coin book collection. the ones i am needing help with appear to be ancient artifacts, bronze metal as far as i can tell from the green corrosion/tarnish, very crudely made with a square (irregularly) punched out of the center of the coin with 4 symbols molded on both faces of coins. one is extremely large and four are smaller in size. they seem to have been worn or heavily crushed on one side but markings are still visible.

i had done a bit of research on them a while back and found 2-3 old vietnamese dynasty coins that were almost identical except for one of the symbols... so i have no idea of their value.

i have also read in the past that Vietnam is desperately trying to get back any and all artifacts taken from the country.

when i can find my camera cord, i will post a few pics so maybe someone can help me place these coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Certainly be glad to try ;)

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

First reaction from the description is that the small ones are possibly 19th Century Annamese cash coins or 6, 8 or 10 Van, while the large one could be a 20, 40, 50 or 60 Van. There are, of course, a number of other possibilities. BTW Annam was an ancient name for approximately the area now known as Vietnam.

When you post the pictures be sure to tell us the actual diameter of each coin. There are several that look very similar except for their size.

Draft saved Draft deleted