Delaware Rotated Die

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by nrk77, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nrk77

nrk77 Junior Member

I was reading the post about the 180 degree delaware rotated die and started going through some quarters that I had sitting around for a while and found one that's rotated a little less that 90 degrees. I know the 180 degrees are worth alot more, but does anyone have any idea what mine might be worth? And if it would be worth having it slabbed? It's in alot better condition than the pics show, the holder I put it in has some scratches on it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I know nothing about rotated dies, but I do have a question. If the upper and lower (obverse and reverse) dies are mechanically indexed so that any rotation is impossible, how do these errors occur?

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

This may help. it will take a few min for the hole page to load.
    I have seen a CT state quarter graded by Pcgs 90deg out of rotation but not a Delaware.
    plus Ken with authenticate it for a fee. if you want get it graded his paper work on the coin Ngc&Pcgs will accept then all the TPG will do is grade it But you must Pay For Details .

http://koinpro.tripod.com/

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

"Last but not least are the "Rotated Die Errors." This error type involves the instillation of one of the dies into a press in the wrong rotational allignment, or for one of the dies to break loose from its fixed position, allowing it to rotate within the die holder. Normally, the dies for United States coins will be set into the press with their designs opposite each other; shifted toward opposite poles. This will result in a struck coin that will show the obverse right side up while the reverse is up-side-down. This is normal and referred to as "coin alignment." However, on rare occasions, one of the dies is set so that it strikes coins in an orientation other than "coin alignment." This can result in a coin that if held with its obverse upright, will display the reverse at any alignment other than the proper 180o "coin alignment." The most desirable error of this type is one that shows a
    180o misalignment, which of course results in a coin with no rotational differentiation between the obverse and reverse (or what is referred to as "medal alignment" since most commemorative medals, military medals, and tokens are struck in this manner).
    To date, at least five different of the States quarter designs have been found with significant "Rotated Die" errors. Any rotational misalignment of over 15% is considered significant.
    The values of rotated die errors are partially based on the severity of rotation and rarity. Average prices for 45 degree to 180 degree rotations range widely from from dealer to dealer at about $45 to $450.
    "
    source: http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/finding_states_quarters_errorsa_.htm

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your DE 25c looks to be rotated about 50 degrees CCW. As a rule, there isn't too much premium for rotations less than 90 degrees, but if you were to list it on eBay, you never know what can happen if two bidiots are trying to win it.

On a side note, in another thread, someone asked how you could tell if the rotation was legit from the photographs. It's easy enough to take a photo with a mirror behind the coin showing the obverse and reverse at the same time.

Chris

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd have to question the validity of this statement because the maximum tolerance for die rotation to be considered acceptable by the Mint is 15 degrees. Most dealers have told me that they don't have any interest in rotations less than 90 degrees.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted