Delaminated canadian penny? NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MowzerXD, Jan 20, 2017.

1. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I found this, surprisingly, in a roll of nickels. It was able to just fit in between 2 of them. I cant find anything about it online but im thinking maybe its the copper coating off of the back of a 1981 canadian penny. That would explain why the rim is cut off, and there is only a feint design on the front of it. leave your opinions down below on what you think it is and what you would value it at.
    16144564_1793086740708806_1945704798_n.jpg 16176404_1793086694042144_1869182870_n.jpg 16215899_1793086660708814_2070482476_n.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The coin was eaten away by being in an acidic environment.

Insider and Amos 811 like this.
  4. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

I highly doubt that. there is no discoloration or wear anywhere on it. possible its post mint damage, but definitely not being in an acidic environment.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Is the size of the coin correct? You say it "just" fit into a roll of nickels, so my best guess would be that it was hammered down to nearly the dimension of a nickel.

6. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

7. MowzerXD

MowzerXD Member

what i mean by what i said is it fits in the lower part of the design on the nickel. its small and thin enough to fit between 2 nickels with the rims of the nickels still touching. It's the same size as a normal canadian penny, but with the rim cut off

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

That's because it is the same metal all the way through the coin.
    Doubt my answer all you want. It's still the correct answer.

paddyman98 and Amos 811 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Well, we gave it a shot, time for supper and bed.

rickmp likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Science experiment, Acid bath.

Dean 295 likes this.
  11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I've encountered these kinds of coins before. Here's a question I have about them. If the entire coin is solid bronze or copper, for example, why doesn't the acid dissolve the entire coin? Why does it make them paper thin with the "core" remaining intact?

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I found one in an alley, It was in very greasy gasoline like soil. I havnt seen it in a while but it was about twice as thick as the OP's, believe it was a 46'.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If it's acid, why did one face retain detail while the other did not?

NOS likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It may/could have been glued to the end of a stick/rod and then suspended into an acid/caustic solution. Some of the experiments done in schools are about electrolysis.

15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I haven't done it in a long time so I forgot about it but it makes sense that this coin is a product of electrolysis. Electrolysis will eventually eat down a coin like this in ways that differ from an acid treatment.

16. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

I have nothing to contribute but I thought that the second photo of the edges was just a cut on your finger until I looked at it a third time.

180IQ likes this.
  17. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I ate acid when I was a kid, and I'm thin like that now : (

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You ask too many questions.

SuperDave likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Perhaps the side with the most detail was face down and not as exposed.

Draft saved Draft deleted