Deja Vu Damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Razz, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I could swear (but I wont ;)) that I have seen something very similar to this posted on CT somewhat recently. It looks to be old damage as it matches the patina of the coin. Such a shame... PhotoEditor_20190421_083523308.jpg PhotoEditor_20190421_083605822.jpg

Devyn5150 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just a guess, but I'd say it's the result of somebody with a punch and a hammer.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes punch and hammer.
    There were some threads about it and someone doubted the replies so I also replicated it with standard punches. Depending upon how hard you hammer it, depends on whether there is any deformation on the opposite side.

Matter of fact, I think I had a similar looking coin in which one of the various size punches I had, fit right in the hole perfectly and the tip was also perfectly shaped to the concavity.

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Hard to see in the reverse photo but definately a bulge where the punch was struck on the obverse.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That bilge on the reverse is the large punch about where her ear should be. And yes, there was a thread like this not too long ago.

7. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

8. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s just me but, even with the pmd, I like this piece.

Mernskeeter and Razz like this.
  9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

yeah, but I just can't envision a laden bird (African or European Swallow maybe?) carrying change in a small pouch whilst flying by someone shooting at them. :)

Tlberg, frankjg and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

That made me laugh! Thanks :)

Clawcoins likes this.
  11. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

What is the weight of an unladen African swallow?

Tlberg and Clawcoins like this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Swallows just dont have enough meat on 'em to make it worth shooting...more likely dove or quail!:D

13. Collecting Nut

When I eat meat I want more than a dove or quail. I want a chicken or a turkey.:)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nahhhh - impact marks are all wrong for bird shot. I've shot more than a few, know what it looks like - and this aint it.

Draft saved Draft deleted