Deja Vu - Another Sole Reign Vabalathus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Harry G, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Hi all!

A coin I've been waiting for finally arrived today - a sole reign antoninianus of Vabalathus.

Vabalathus was the eight year old ruler of the Palmyrene empire, along with his mother, Zenobia. From 270 - 272AD, Zenobia issued coins in Aurelian and Vabalathus' names, which give Vabalathus the title of Vir Clarissimus, Rex, Imperator, Dux Romanorvm, which translates as Man Most Illustrious, King, Emperor, Leader of the Romans. This seems a little unlikely, given Vabalathus was too young to even be considered a man.

However, during 272AD, Aurelian invaded the Palmyra, after a long truce between the empires. Vabalathus was proclaimed Augustus, and some rare antoninianii were issued at Antioch mint between March and May of that year, with the interesting legend IM C VHABALATHVS AVG. The spelling of "Vhabalathus" rather than "Vabalathus" and "IM" rather than "IMP", is likely down to the inexperience of the Greek die engravers that were employed to strike the emergency coins. This is also shown on the reverse of some coins, by using the letter Greek letter ε rather than E.

Anyway, here's my new addition:

IM C VHABALATHVS AVG/VεNVS AVG
    vabalathus venvs avg.png

Yes, I know, it's not exactly going to win any beauty contests.

However, this coin was in a large lot in a recent Art & Coins auction on Biddr, and I managed to snipe it for around £40 including postage (including the 19 other coins lol). Generally ants of Vabalathus tend to go for a significant amount of money, so I'm really pleased to get this one for a bargain price. It will go nicely next to my other antoninianus of Vabalathus that is in significantly nicer condition, which I also managed to get very cheaply (but this time as a single coin for around £30 on eBay).

IM C VHABALATHVS AVG/AεTεRNITAS AVG
    vabalathus aeternitas avg.png

I hope you enjoyed reading my small write up (the first I've done), and hope you liked the crusty coin!

Please show me some decrepit rarities, an antoninianus of Vabalathus (or Vabalathus & Aurelian), or anything else that might be relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Sole reign Vabalathus is usually much more than I want to pay.

I did snag this dual reign with Aurelian, for $15, though.
    Aurelian Tetradrachm Milne 4331.JPG

4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Superb pickups!

Vaballathus as Augustus is on my list - let me know if you're interested in parting with either of those ;)

I do have two of him as client king

Antioch antoninianus
    vabalathus aurelian antoninianus.jpg

Alexandria tetradrachm
    Alexandria AE tetradrachm Vabalathus Aurelian_compress19.jpg

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I do not have a Vabalathus, but I do have an Aurelian antoninianus, or aurelianianus, depending on what you call it. It's certainly no rarity, but it is a pleasing example of a common type.
    Aurelian antoninianus 1.jpg

7. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

My only Vabalathus (24 g / 32,8 mm) has the size and look of a gold medallion of 8 Aurei but sadly is neither gold nor ancient:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-20 um 22.06.04.png

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Not one but two? Leave some for the rest of us! :)

Harry G and Orange Julius like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Did his father Odaenathus issue any coins?

Harry G likes this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

It is likely that Odaenathus was in direct control of the mint of Antioch starting with sometime after the revolt of the Macriani in 260. And there is some discussion that he issued coinage there in the name of Gallienus, but without direct imperial permission, as he was the de facto ruler of the East at that time and had his own Persian wars in 261-3. In 263 it seems that he took the titles of Persicus and Parthicus Maximus and in 264 the issue of the very rare Antiochene coinage of ADVENTVS and PROFECTIO might have been a direct request from Rome to Odaenathus for a (possibly aborted) visit to the East and Antioch in particular that Gallienus had planned, likely in connection with the degree of autonomy that Odaenathus enjoyed in the East. Historia Augusta mentions coins being struck for Odaenathus as Persicus Maximus in 263 but 1. Historia Augusta is notoriously unreliable and 2. there are no such coins.

GregH, Orange Julius and Harry G like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted