Deities and Personifications A-Z

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

In the spirit of TIF's provincial cities thread, where participants post coins of cities in alphabetical order every few days, I thought we could have fun with a similar thread.

Do you find polytheism fascinating? I sure do! There are hundreds of deities and personifications which were honored and worshipped by ancient peoples. From minor river gods to the major Olympian deities, there's an ancient coin depicting them.

Let's see how many deities and personifications we can cobble together here. Like TIF's thread, let's do it by alphabet, allowing a couple of days per letter. As TIF says, "Inevitably there will be latecomers, omissions, or later purchases but that's okay-- just add them when you can if that letter's time has already passed."

Also, it's okay if you want to post a deity that someone has already posted. Go ahead and show it off! Feel free to include depictions of the deity in statuary, on vase paintings, mosaics or whatever else you think is appropriate or interesting.

I'll start with Annona.

Annona isn't some Hollywood actress on a "gluten-free" diet; Annona WAS gluten, the divine personification of the Roman grain supply, which flowed into Rome day after day from the provinces, especially from Egypt, on ships loaded with hundreds of baskets full of wheat and other grains. It's fitting Annona is depicted as standing between a modius (a bushel basket) and the prow of a ship, all the while holding ears of grain and a cornucopiae.

Antoninus Pius Annona Sestertius.jpg
    Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161
    Roman orichalcum sestertius; 23.16 g, 29 mm
    Rome, AD 142
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right.
    Rev: ANNONA AVG S C, Annona standing right, between modius and prow, holding corn ears and out-turned cornucopiae
    Refs: RIC 597; BMCRE 1228; Cohen 37; RCV 4147; UCR 502

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent thread idea! I love focusing on coins' reverses! :)

LOL, I'm going to post another of the one coin posted so far just because I love it so much. I'll be able to post it again in a few days too ;) :D

Annona:
    [​IMG]
    Nero
    struck in Rome, CE 63
    Orichalcum sestertius, 34 mm, 26.7 gm
    Obv: NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP PP; laureate head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: ANNONA AVGVSTI CERES; Ceres, veiled and draped, seated left, holding corn ears and torch, her feet on stool, facing Annona standing right, holding cornucopia; between them, modius on garlanded altar; in background, stern of ship
    Ref: RIC 98. Cohen 24

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Amphitrite (wife of Poseidon)

Another coin I'll be able to post a second time later in the thread :D :
    [​IMG]
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    Moneyer Q. Crepereius M.f. Rocus

69 BCE (revised from Crawford's 72 BCE)
    AR serrate denarius; 3.99 gm
    Obv: draped bust of Amphitrite seen from behind, with head turned r.; behind, sea anemone; horizontal I to right of right shoulder (only partly visible on this coin)
    Rev: Neptune in biga of hippocamps right, holding reins and brandishing trident; above, I and below, Q·CREPER·M·F / ROCVS
    Ref: Crawford 399/1b; Babelon Crepereia 1. Sydenham 796a. Rare.
    from HJB BBS 200, October 2016
    ex NAC 78 lot 1828, from the JD Collection of Roman Republican Coins

[​IMG]
    BRUTTIUM, the Brettii
    216-214 BCE
    Æ quartuncia, 13.5mm, 2.06 g
    Obv: head of Amphitrite left, wearing crab headdress
    Rev: crab; torch above, BPET-TIΩN above and below
    Ref: Pfeiler p. 33, 4a; Scheu, Bronze 51; HN Italy 1944; SNG ANS 123–4; SNG Lloyd –; McClean 1579

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Artemis

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis
    Macrinus and Diadumenian, CE 217-218
    AE pentassarion, 27 mm, 12.3 gm
    Obv: AYT K M OΠEΛ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠE ANTΩNINOC; Laureate head of Macrinus left and bare head of Diadumenian right, confronted
    Rev: VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAPKIANOΠOΛEITΩN; Artemis advancing right, reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and holding bow, hound at foot, E in left field
    Ref: Varbanov 1159 var. (obverse legend); Megaw MAR5.12d; Hristova/Jekov 6.24.13.1

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Am I hogging this thread? (yes :D). Okay... I'll pause after this one and let someone else post the other common A deities. Gotta get ready for work anyway.

Apollo

[​IMG]
    TROAS, Alexandria. Trebonianus Gallus
    CE 251-253
    AE 21 mm, 4.76 gm
    Obv: IMP VIB TREB GALVS AV; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: COL AV / TROA; Apollo, head right and holding kithara, seated facing on griffin springing right, head left
    Ref: RPC IX 407; Bellinger A403

Apollo Sauroktonos

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nikopolis ad Istrum. Caracalla
    Ovinius Tertullus, legatus consularis.
    AE 28, 13.05 gm
    Obv: AV K M AVP ANTΩNINOC; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VΠA OOVI TEPTOVΛΛOV ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟC Ι; Apollo Sauroktonos standing right, holding laurel branch and leaning hand upon a tree stump with a lizard climbing up it.
    Ref: H&J 8.18.7.1; Varbanov -.

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Amazing coins!

@TIFF - Did you get that bottle cap (bottle top?) recently? It's gorgeous! I never get tired of looking at coins of this quality. A great idea for a thread. Thanks @Roman Collector.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I lied. I have to add one more right now, my favorite coin. Not sure why this wasn't the first one I posted in the thread. (Sorry for the slight, O Arethusa!)

Arethusa

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BCE)
    struck 310-305 BCE
    AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
    Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
    Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
    Ref: Ierardi 12 (O2-R8); SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Hoo-boy - keeping up with this and the Provincials at the same time will be a challenge! Okay, here's what I've got:

01-R3-Gordian III-AR-ANT-01.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Gordian III, r. 238-244 A.D. (241-243 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Antoninianus, 22.62mm x 4.6 grams
    Obv.: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: PM TR P IIII COS II PP, Apollo, bare waist, seated left, holding branch and resting elbow on lyre

Anc-02d-GrSyr-fje-Dionysios I-TR-1193.jpg
    Sicily - Syracuse;
    Dionysios I, r. 405-367 B.C.
    AE Trias, 17.99 mm x 7.9 grams
    Obv.: ΣΥΡΑ. Head of Athena left, wearing Corinthian Helmet
    Rev.: Hippocamp left

Anc-02j-Mys-hjj-Pergamon-GAE19-3974.jpg
    Mysia
    Pergamon (after 200 B.C.)
    AE19, 19mm x 5.9 grams
    Obv.: ΕΠΙ ΠΕΡΓΑΜΟ[Υ] below Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev.: ΠΕΓΑΜΗΝΩΝ right. Nike walking right, holding wreath and palm branch

Anc-02l-HKP-hbh-Philetairos-AE14-7233.jpg
    Mysia - Pergamon
    Philetairos, r. 282-133 B.C.; AE14, 13.16 mm x 2.3 grams
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev.: ΦIΛE / TAIPOY. Strung bow

Anc-04-BA-iee-Menander I-DR-67.jpg
    Kingdom of Bactria
    Menander I r. c. 165/55-130 B.C.
    AR Drachm, 15.71mm x 2.5 grams
    Obv.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ / ΜΕΝΑΝΔΡΟΥ. Diademed bust of the sovereign right, coat fastened on the right shoulder
    Rev.: (Maharajasa tratarasa / Menamdrasa). Athena Alkidemos standing left. Monogram 'H' in right field
    Ref.: Bopearachchi, Ménandre (I) Sôter, 67

01-R3-Gallienus-BL-ANT-01.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Gallienus, r. 253-268 A.D.
    Rome Mint, Billon Antoninianus, 20.67mm x 2.5 grams
    Obv.: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right
    Rev.: AEQVIT AVG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales & cornucopia

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ahem.... I'm going to recycle the deity I just used for the provincial mints thread :shame:...

ASTARTE

3370266 Diadumenian.jpg

DIADUMENIAN
    AE22. 11.08g, 22mm. PHOENICIA, Byblus, 217 AD, Cf. Rouvier 699; BMC 40-3. O: M OΠ ΔIAΔVMENIANOC KAI, bareheaded and cuirassed bust right. R: BYB - ΛOV IEPAC, Astarte wearing a polos standing facing, carrying a spear, foot on prow, being crowned by Nike on short column to right; all within distyle temple with a fancy arched roof.

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

great thread! awesome coins! tif, your fav coin is is a beauty! cant stop staring at it!

RIC4-27b.jpg
    Philip I AR Antoninianus. IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed
    bust right / AEQVITAS AVGG, Aequitas standing left with scales & cornucopia.
    22.8 mm 4.5g
    RIC IV 27b

12. Pompeius

Pompeius Well-Known Member

ALEXANDRIA
    One of my favorites, a pretty large coin with a personification of Alexandria. nero.jpg
    Nero Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria. Year 12=65/6 AD. NERW KLAV KAIS SEB GER, radiate bust right, wearing aegis / AVTOKPA, draped bust of Alexandria right in elephant skin headdress, LIB to right. Köln 172-174; Curtis 36-54, Dattari 204, SGI 633, RPC 5289.

13. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

ARABIA, ARDenarius, Rome,103-111 AD, "IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PMTRP"laureate bust,/Aabi, standing, looking left, holding branch and bundle of canes,camel left "COSV PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC", BMC 474, RIC.245/6 Arabiarev.jpg

Attached Files:

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Another great thread idea! I love the idea of Annona as the personification of gluten, lol! Here's Artemis in two different aspects, on coins of Acmoneia (Hadrian) and Anemurium (Gallienus)...

hadrian acmoneia 6.jpg gallienus 6.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  15. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Very nice coins, charming portraits of Amphitrite.

TIF likes this.
  16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thessalian League.jpg
    THESSALIAN LEAGUE
    AR Drachm
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right, ΓAYANA (magistrate) behind
    Rev: Athena Itonia standing right, with shield and about to hurl spear, ΘEΣΣA - ΛΩN to sides, bunch of grapes on vine right, Π-O / Λ-Y (magistrate) across lower fields
    Struck at Thessaly 196-146 BC
    4.0g, 16 mm
    BMC 36

17. Bing

Phrygia Apameia.jpg
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48

18. Bing

M Herennius.jpg
    M. HERENNIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS HERENNIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: PIETAS, diademed head of Pietas right
    REVERSE: M•HERENNI, Amphinomus carrying his father right, control letter in right field (Dot over sideways D)
    Struck at Rome 108-109 BC
    3.8g, 18mm
    Cr308/1b; Syd 567a

19. Bing

Julius Caesar 2.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Venus right.
    REVERSE: CAESAR - Aeneas advancing left, carrying Anchises and palladium
    Carthage 47 to 46 BC
    4.0g, 17mm
    CRI 55, Sydenham 1013, RRC 458/1, S 1402

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'll toss in Asklepios:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Anchialus Asklepios.jpg
    Gordian and Tranquillina
    Roman provincial AE 26.4 mm, 12.98 g
    Thrace, Anchialus, AD 241 Obv: Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ CΕΒ-[...], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian and draped bust of Tranquillina, wearing stephane, confronted.
    Rev: ΟVΛΠΑΝW[ΑΝ]ΧΙΑΛΕWΝ, Asklepios standing facing, head left, with serpent climbing staff to left.
    Refs: Moushmov 2936; AMGN II 665; Varbanov 672; SNG Copenh --; BMC Thrace --

21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Draft saved Draft deleted