Deified Emperors?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kaparthy, Apr 26, 2020.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Reading background based on @DonnaML's entry on the coins of Trajan Decius, I found an entry from the University of Michgian Classics Department. Under Trajan Decius, the mint at Mediolanum struck a series commemorating deified emperors. Post yours, please.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

DivoCommodo.jpg
    Divus Commodus. Died 192 AD. AR Antoninianus (23mm; 3.38 gm; 1h). Commemorative issue. Rome mint, 5th officina. 8th emission of Trajan Decius, mid-251 AD. Obv: Rad. head right. Rev: Lighted altar. RIC IV 94 (Decius); RSC 1010

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

AntPiusConsecratio.jpg
    Divus Antoninus Pius. Died 161 AD. AR Denarius (18mm; 3.30 gm; 6h). Consecration issue. Rome mint. Struck under Marcus Aurelius, 161 AD. Obv: Bare-headed bust right, slight drapery. Rev: Funeral pyre of four tiers surmounted by facing quadriga. RIC III 438 (Aurelius); RSC 164a.

7. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

DivoTito.jpg
    Restored Coinage of Trajan Decius for Divus Titus. 249-251 AD. AR Antoninianus (22mm; 3.19 gm; 1h). Rome, 251 AD. Obv: DIVO TITO Radiate head of Divus Titus right. Rev: CONSECRATIO Eagle standing right, head left, wings raised. RIC IV.3, p. 130, 81a. Cohen (Titus) 404.

8. DonnaML

I find it interesting that the only one of these who bears any significant resemblance to the portraits on their original coins is Antoninus Pius. I would never recognize most of them. Certainly not Titus!

ominus1 and octavius like this.
  9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I goofed! The Antoninus Pius coin is not a Trajan Decius commemorative issue.
    My apologies. Getting old :(

10. DonnaML

No wonder he looks like himself!

11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I followed the link that Cucumbor posted to the thread he started back in 2017. It is impressive. I should have thought to search for that by topic or key word. There's a lot there. I noted in particular that the attribution to Mediolanum is disputed.

As noted above, also, these issues tend to have generic or stylistic portraits, different from the lifetime issues. (In the case above, that coin was struck under Marcus Aurelius.) That ties in to the persecution of Christians and the re-establishment of the office of Censor. Trajan Decius was hoiping to recapture the grandeur that was Rome, which just passed its Millennial year and then suffered a plague among other calamities.

Cucumbor and DonnaML like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Actually, if you look at the group photo posted by Q, Pius does seem to be more 'correct' than the others. One of his Septimius Severus coins is more normal looking than the other so there will be some variations within the series. When issued, there were few people alive who had seen any but the latest of the honored emperors and relatively few of the 100+ year old coins were still in circulation so the errors in appearance meant little. I do not consider them all that bad and believe someone familiar with the series (e.g. Q) would be able to sort them by portrait with little trouble. I am a bit surprised that the portraits of Trajan used did not have some greater resemblance to Decius.

Modern people have a mind-picture of Cleopatra a bit too much like Elizabeth Taylor (at least they did 50 years ago when people recognized Elizabeth Taylor). If you did not hear about this, history may remember Dr. Fauci of Covid fame most for his suggestion that he be portrayed by Brad Pitt.....
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/saturday-night-live-brad-pitt-portrays-dr-fauci-snl/
    ...and it came true.

Cucumbor and DonnaML like this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Agreed

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted