Defining Eras of Coinage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

How do you define eras of coinage?

For example for America you could define eras as Colonial, Early, Classic, and Modern. As to the cutoff dates for the eras, that's where it gets more difficult.

I like to use the adoption of the closed collar as the beginning of Classic coinage for any country that I collect. That is not always a cut and dry date, as it isn't necessarily adopted for all denominations at the same time.

For moderns you can look for the elimination of silver from circulating coinage, but that doesn't always work either. For example I think the Modern era for Hungarian coinage clearly started in 1946, but their last circulating silver issue was struck in 1994.

Please share your thoughts on how you define eras in general, or for any countries you collect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy ! That's one where I can't even agree with myself as to what the eras should be called, let alone dated.

But I can roughly go along with ancients being defined as ending with the fall of Rome - roughly 400 AD. Then I think there should be a Dark Ages period, roughly 400-900 AD. Then medieval, 900-1300, then the Renaissance 1300-1643 - and I'm nailing that one down because of 1643 being the beginning of milled coinage.

Now I feel pretty good about things up to that point, but after that it gets more difficult for me at least. I've been tempted to call it the European Colonial Period, but Europe really began colonizing long before that, so I dunno, maybe the Late European Colonial would work better - 1643-1836. With 1836 being the beginning of widespread stream press usage which could be called the Industrial Period I guess. And I guess I'd have that end at 1964 which would be the beginning of the Modern Period, as least as I define it.

Mojavedave and Jaelus like this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What was it like during the dark ages. Did you wear the same or similar hat?

5. CoinCorgi

On the original topic, I think ruling entities in certain countries could be specific demarcation points in time. The different dynasties in China perhaps.

Or in Britain, decimalization is an obvious point.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My own version of US coins is entirely my own view and not backed by any facts other than my personal way of viewing US coin history;
    • 1600-1792.... Struggling nation in its infancy. Numerous interesting pieces minted by mostly localized entrepreneurs.
    • 1792-1804.... A nation coming to grips with creating a workable monetary system. Many designs come and go but the foundation is laid.
    • 1804-1909.... A firm monetary system is established. Designs tend to stabilize and our nations cash becomes something of a world standard.
    • 1909-1964..... The classic era of US coinage. Artistry and design aspects are held to high standard that endures to the current day.
    • 1964-1999..... Artistry and design now take a backseat to budget. Struck currency loses it's luster. The advent of clad coinage only enhances the complacency that many people view their coinage with.
    • 1999-Present..... US mint attempts to reinvigorate the public's view of struck currency and is successful with its state quarter program. Perhaps recognizing that cash currency may soon be a thing of the past and introduces far too many design changes only serving to bring folks back to complacency with their coins.
    Hows that for an entirely unscientific and completely personal view of US coins?

Taurus57, Jaelus and CoinCorgi like this.
  7. GDJMSP

Yup, same hat - I always was a trend setter :)

And yup, I am gonna getcha for that ;)

tibor, Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. CoinCorgi

Saving a copy of my avatar as backup right now.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

LOL ! What's a matter Wyatt Derp ? Didn't like your last one ??? :D

wyatt_derp.jpg

Kentucky likes this.
  10. CoinCorgi

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Anything post-1600 modern to mine eyes, at least in the grand scheme of things.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

For most of the US coinage life, most of the series were aligned with each other. I tend to divide US coinage history along those series lines, except where some other major occurrence took place.

1836 - steam press took over, and was also when the Seated coinage started to replace Bust
    1873 - a lot of happenings this year re-defined our coinage system
    1907-1916 - many new series overhauled the aesthetics of our coinage. This one isn't as clear cut year-wise, but this "Renaissance" period is more of a gradual transition
    1933 - end of gold is end of an era
    1964 - end of silver is end of an era and the beginning of the Modern

You may also argue that 1999 is a transition to a new era, with the advent of the State Quarters. It sort of changed the entire perspective of the mint, and the country, regarding (non?)circulating coinage.

13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

for the US???
    pre-1836...beautiful
    pre-1909...attractive
    pre-1965... collectable crap
    post 1965...ugly crap

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted