Define “Tooling”

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Dec 5, 2020.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Randy I understand what you're asking about, and I understand all the explanations and opinions offered so far. But I think it's much simpler than that.

To me, and I think to the TPGs, the tooled designation applies to the specific action that was done to the coin - amplifying the details with a sharp pointed instrument and or tool.

Tooled is one of the few problem designations that actually does that. The only two others that do that are Filed Rims, and Holed/and or Plugged.

All of the other problem coin designations, each one covers a variety of causes, actions, results.

yakpoo and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

As much as I agree with your assessment (I've learned not to argue), I think of "tooling" as the use of some sort of "tool" to enhance the numismatic value of a coin...which, as the OP argues, didn't happen in this case.

Yes, it's damaged, but perhaps not in a way where the "enhancement" must be disregarded to accurately assess the coin's value.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

While I am satisfied in the explanations offered and understand that a TPG cannot assess the intent of the intent of the person committing the act.... I would be very interested in hearing what @Insider would have to say. Is there a delineation in your mind whether a mark on a coin is a scratch or a tooled surface?

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll post on this tomorrow. Hallmark Christmas Movie on in two minutes. o_O:facepalm: :shame:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted