DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged "Errors" on eBay

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by paddyman98, Jan 11, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here we go again..
    These bad listings gave me a good laugh. The sad thing is that people are actually bidding on the first coin I'm showing.
    Capture+_2021-01-11-08-29-56.png
    Capture+_2021-01-11-08-30-12.png

This one took a serious hit.. PMD :yack:
    Capture+_2021-01-11-08-37-57.png Capture+_2021-01-11-08-40-55.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

How do people NOT know these are DEFDAM? It's very obvious...

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The thing that astounds me.... And I don't mean to bemoan anyone here.... But has the internet robbed people of good common horse sense these days?

5. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

The best thing about the internet is people can post anything.

The worst thing about the internet is people can post anything.

Caveat emptor. Forever.

6. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

If posting the link is ok I'm happy to report it!
    There are a few of us around who tend to help get things removed by reporting them when they are either blatantly fraudulent listings and or counterfeits.
    Sometimes the wording of the seller's listing matters...

7. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Inexperience, that's how.

DarkRage666 likes this.
  8. VistaCruiser69

The internet is an outstanding vessel for circulating old wife's tales. Before the internet, we had to actually run into someone saying things and/or read tabloids about nonsense like this. Now, it's quite easy. Just go on the internet and such tales pop up regularly, most often times without even trying to search for such.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You have eBay remove 2 and 2 more pop up.. It's a never ending cycle.. EBay wants to make their money. You will be reporting listings for days!

10. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

the old saying goes

a fool and their money are soon parted

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you search our Error forum archive, you will find a lot of horses that have no sense at all.

manny9655 likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nope. It's just making it easier for us to watch them standing and staring at the water.

I can look at several coins I purchased as a YN and see equally embarrassing poor judgement. Of course, I can also think about the fact that a dealer sold those not-as-claimed coins to a young kid... :mad:

13. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

And that's another problem.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too made some poor purchases as a youngster.... But not error related. As things are now, I rather believe if I had a malicious nature that I could list the two cents below as errors on EBay. Frankly, I am too embarrassed to put them in a roll to take to the bank so they sit on my desk...... But it doesn’t take that many firing neurons to be able to tell damage from a mint error in 99% of the cases. It just astounds me.

957BC779-CB35-469E-8E99-7BDA84B023BC.jpeg

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. VistaCruiser69

I find coins just like these that you posted almost every day during my walks around town. Road kill coins. I pick them up for later use :) They keep the old guy who metal detects the local park excited. I'll accumulate a handful of these such coins and every so often I'll walk through the park super early in the morning on my way to get a coffee before work. He arrives to the park with metal detector in hand shortly after that. When I see him stop and start poking around I know he's finding them. :) I feel sad that the coins end up destroyed, so give them just one last meaningful purpose in their lives.

16. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

That's awesome - every now and then, you should plant some toasty Mercury dimes or V nickels, just to keep it interesting for him.

17. VistaCruiser69

A few years ago I was at an elderly friend's house and he was throwing away a bunch of stuff. One of the things he had was this metal pen that had "President Nixon - Now more than ever" in bold font on it. Obviously a very old pen left over from the early 70's or something like that. I tossed that in the grass at the park as I saw him coming to his usual "hunting" grounds. I didn't wait around, but I hope that he found it. If so, he probably had that as one heck of a topic down at the coffee shop later on in the day.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The sellers should be band from listing anything as they are committing fraud by listing them as MINT errors, unless they have a personal mint in their garage. LOL

paddyman98 and DarkRage666 like this.
  19. VistaCruiser69

Ebay makes revenue when items are listed, even if the item doesn't ultimately sell. I'd be willing to bet that they let it go on but will deal with it if they have to after it's been sold and the buyer complains.

This may be why Ebay automatically sides with buyers if there are any complaints about any transactions. I've sold and bought on ebay since 2003. 99% of the time I've had positive experiences on ebay. But I don't sell things that only have sentimental value to others, such as coins, antiques, collectables, etc. etc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Kurisu and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I've been on ebay for 20+ years....trust me, when you tell them properly the listings get quickly removed, especially straight up counterfeits as apposed to the nonsense errors. A few of us in other forums actually spend some time regularly doing this, you're welcome! I'm sure there are a few from CT doing this too!

Also, "buyer beware" is very very bad business lol! Ebay has done a whole lot right, it's why they are still around and heavily used. They struggle with some of this but they do listen believe it or not, and they don't have full time "experts" available to do the reporting that we actually do whether you realize it or not.

I have been known to call them and give them even more information too.
    The counterfeits are actually steadily improving in quality and unfortunately most of those are coming right out of China.

If you think I'm just blowing hot air, here's my coupon from early last year on ebay :happy:

Original Ebay Account.jpg

jamor1960 likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Call and raise... ;)

upload_2021-1-11_17-5-56.png

At one point five or ten years ago I was actively reporting bad listings using a back-channel link, but they shut that down and reassigned the person who'd been managing it (Judith).

I understand that there are new channels now, but I haven't been invited to use them. I don't spend as much time on eBay now anyhow (chicken, meet egg?), so I haven't pursued it.

Draft saved Draft deleted