"Deep hairlines" variety on Netherlands 2/5 gulden coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, May 19, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Every time I look on eBay, I see a handful of 1933 dated coins being described as the rare and/or valuable "deep hairlines" (in the hair on the bust) variety with asking prices comparable to this variety for 1932 and 1938 dated coins. Even Apmex has done it.

The problem is, there is no variety for 1933... all of the coins have deep hairlines on the bust. This is [yet another] careless mistake made by Krause publications, which was then taken up by sites that import the data, like Numismaster and the NGC world coins price guide. I believe Krause has fixed the error in recent editions and I don't have a Numismaster subscription to check. But the NGC price guide still shows the incorrect value which falsely implies it is rare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How about "mistakenly implies"? "Falsely implies" suggests that they know it's wrong, and that hasn't been established. Have you posed this question on "Ask NGC"?

Chris

4. Numismat

"Falsely" "mistakenly"... all it means is implying something that is not true. Doesn't say anything about intent. And no I haven't. I don't think the NGC site is the big issue, but older editions of Krause that many people still use. Not much to do about that other than message the sellers, as I do regularly. Some are receptive, some not so much.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Falsely" suggests intent. "Mistakenly" implies error. If you're so upset about this, I'd think you'd want to mention this to NGC so there is one less site using incorrect data.

Chris

6. Numismat

I'll try that. The purpose of this thread is that some buyer or seller may see it and not get ripped off or rip someone else off. These forum threads always seem to be at the top of the results list when I do searches on Google, compared to other resources that are often a few pages deeper in.

Draft saved Draft deleted