deciding what to focus on for collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ponderossa, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ponderossa

ponderossa Junior Member

I've just got into coin collecting just recently. i have some proof sets and silver commem dollars trying to decide what to focus on. I think I want to focus on silver eagles and silver proof sets. thoughts

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

I actually started a thread a while back asking if a collection should have direction. If I remember correctly the common consensus was figure out what you like and go for it.

4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Biggest part is collect what you LIKE... Invest in silver eagles and even silver proofs but collect a coin series you really like. even a penny album can be a lot of fun to fill and not overly expensive. It also gives you lots of practice judging grades on cheaper coins.

5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Best general advice is to start a type set. They are relatively easy and very versatile. You get an overview of a large group of coins and explore new areas that you may find are better suited for you than just proof sets or modern commemoratives.

I am currently working on one myself along with several other collecting goals, and I've found it to be a great experience. I chose to look for US coins from about the 1830s-2000 and after making a list of what I was interested in, I was able to discover new areas that interested me and it opened my eyes to appreciate the history of our coins.

An example for me specifically is the seated series. Didn't know much about it, I basically stayed around the 1920-1960s era half dollars at the time before I started my type set. Well after getting a few seated coins I realized I liked them and they had a wide array of denominations and varieties. I personally grew a fancy for the 1853 Half dollar and quarter specifically, both beautiful coins, and now I own examples of both.

I believe I would've eventually owned these coins anyway at some point, but I definitely know I stumbled onto them directly through my efforts to build that type set.

Whatever you decide just do what works for you and what you like.

Draft saved Draft deleted