Death Watch

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yakpoo, Aug 24, 2021.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

edited

The Canadian cent ended in 2012. How long before the U.S. cent goes Bye-Bye?

I'm kind of rooting for the cent to end because I think it will give the hobby a boost.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021
    GH#75, Kasia, Stevearino and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Too long. It was already trivial and pointless in the 1980s when it went over to the time-release self-destruct composition. Please put it out of our misery.

Kentucky, Kasia, serafino and 3 others like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

edited Never........they won't even discontinue the dollar bill and replace it with the 'host' of metal dollars languishing in a bunker in Texas. Every other country with an inch of 'smarts' has already done so, but we here in the U S of A tenaciously hang on to money failing ventures...........edited

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Sometimes I can only shake my head.

Stevearino and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

So many of our hang ups are directly related to edited

Vertigo and charley like this.
  7. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I think with more and more transactions made digitally, whether a physical cent coin is made or not will be almost irrelevant. I still like cents, because of their long history, but I can't get into collecting modern ones.
    US coppers copy.jpeg

8. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I lived through the 70s and inflation even then wasn't at Weimar Germany levels, but it was odd having mortgages with double digit percentages. The main problem, of course, was that OPEC shut off our supply of oil / gas - thankfully that can't happen again. Once this COVID thing calms down with vaccinations, the chip and lumber shortages will resolve and we should be back in the 2.5% target range that bodes well for growth, or at least I hope so. Let's keep in mind that deflation is a bigger danger than moderate inflation. I was hoping this thread was about something else - this is my favorite Death Star Watch - I know Invicta isn't a great maker, but I do love a meteorite dial - deathwatch.jpg

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Nice! I like the second hand.

MIGuy likes this.
  10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Well like they say you learn a lot about a country and it's people by looking at it's coins. Including coins made with drive-by plating on zombie metal.

Hey, keep the cent; it's almost perfect. Just change the motto to: edited

The waste however is trivial. We probably wasted more money on: $600 "Manually operated vertically deployed inertial impact devices" aka hammers.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. It makes no sense to continue with cents. BTW: edited TC

12. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Well, don't hold your breath. They've been predicting the end of SS for the last 50 years or so, but it's still around. Maybe that old saying, "a penny for your thoughts" in such an age of today's transparency is what's keeping the penny around...!

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys, a lot of editing was required in this thread. Let's please see to it that no more is required !

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Doug...Do we have to ignore economic reality? The inflation rate has tripled in the past six months. You don't think that impacts the hobby? ...or was the word "soar" objectionable?

We've discussed the future of the Cent in the past with no objections. It's interesting to note that 5 years ago, everyone on CT defended the Cent with great vigor. Now, it seems like everyone is ready to let it go.

Personally, I think an obsolete coin, freely in circulation, could be a boom for the hobby.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Mr.Q and charley like this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't have a problem with mentioning that inflation is rising. But I do have a problem with discussing what some think the reasons are for it !

I also have a problem with you, or anybody else, using discontinuing the cent, or anything else for that matter, as an excuse to make your political views known !

Bottom line, it stops right now. Or you do !

Cheech9712, WLH22, Kentucky and 6 others like this.
  17. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Agree. A dangerous "boom".
    Loud, also.

The "freely" part renders the posit as failed philosophy.

18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This isn't some veiled attempt to discuss politics on CT. Not my intention AT ALL! I'm quite happy discussing political issues over at Partisan Lines.

Politics is that last thing I intend to discuss here. At that same time, it's hard to defend my statement on "future" inflation without enumerating the various inflationary pressures.

Mr.Q and charley like this.
  19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Imagine if the Cent were discontinued. I think we would see an uptick in roll hunting and coin collecting. Perhaps not immediately...but eventually.

Cheech9712, Mr.Q and charley like this.
  20. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Agree, but...nothing is freely circulated. I wish it was not so, but......

Maybe the question should be: imagine if the Cent was not discontinued. That is a lot more philosophical fun. Until it isn't, of course.

yakpoo likes this.
  21. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Discussing the value of producing the cent today is centsless!

Andy, Cheech9712, Magnus87 and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted