Death Valley Days TV show "Private Mint of Clark, Gruber & Co."

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dcarr, Feb 1, 2018.

1. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Death Valley Days was a long-running TV show about the American West Frontier. The episodes were based on actual historical occurrences.
    I knew of the existence of this particular episode for many years, but I was only able to view it recently. I found it very entertaining (for my own biased reasons).

Death Valley Days, season 11, episode 12 (the 255th episode overall), first broadcast December 1962:
    "Private Mint of Clark, Gruber & Co".

Here is the IMDB page about it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0556856/

I could not find this episode on YouTube, or on any DVD available through Amazon. But it is apparently available for viewing through Starz Entertainment Network. I was finally able to watch it ON DEMAND through Comcast by going to TV Shows -> Death Valley Days -> Episode 255.

Here is a vintage press release photo that I have in my Clark Gruber collection that is dated on the back "DEC 8 1962". Note the caption below the photograph:
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hi Daniel,
    That's amazing information and good exposure/free advertising for you.:D Hopefully someone sees this thread on their computer and posts the episode on youtube. thumbsup.gif

Ericred likes this.
  5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

20 Mule Team from Death Valley

20_mule_team_ng593_jpg_cf.jpg

6. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

I have been hooked on Death Valley Days for awhile now. It's broadcast over the air on Get TV. They run from 2 - 5 pm, (six 1/2 hour Shows). Can't say I have seen that episode yet. The plots are all centered around important historical events that shaped the west. I watched an episode on the founding of Tombstone called silver coffin.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

There is another episode of this TV show that people have talked about titled "Raid on the San Francisco Mint" starring Ronald Reagan. That one is generally more available because it is on a compilation Death Valley Days DVD.

I have seen both episodes and I definitely like the Clark Gruber episode better. The "Raid on the San Francisco Mint" episode is entertaining, but it isn't quite as dramatic as the title implies.

Moekeever likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

My Dad watch's that and i'm fond of westerns too.. you might try dailymotion.com to see if you can find what you're looking for.

9. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

10. I am pretty sure this series can be streamed for free on Amazon Prime. TC

11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Thank you for the information on the Clark Gruber episode.

I watched the episode last night and found it entertaining.

There is no doubt that some historical accuracy was sacrificed for drama and the 25 minute program length.

[​IMG]

Actress Sue Randall, who played Martha Clark, is more recognizable as the teacher on "Leave it to Beaver".

I added both the "Private Mint of Clark, Gruber & Co." and "Raid on the San Francisco Mint" (the one with Ronald Reagan as SF banker William Ralston) episodes to my website under "Coins on Television".

:)

12. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Here are some more TV shows you could add to your list:

Show : Episode Title : Coin

Monk : "Monk Meets the Godfather" : 2-headed pennies from the San Francisco Mint.

Psych : "In for a Penny" : 1943 bronze cent.

The Lucy Show : "Lucy the Coin Collector" : Lucy finds and then loses a penny worth $16.50

13. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I enjoyed the Comstock Lode episode on Bonanza.

bonanzaSMALL.jpg

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted