Dear 1923 Buffalo Nickel....What Are You?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MacSpecial7, Nov 28, 2020.

1. MacSpecial7

MacSpecial7 New Member

Thank You! Wise words there, Hun. I’ll definitely agree with you on that one.

tommyc03 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

OK, we all agree now, PMD . Probably dug up by @paddyman98 , perhaps ? LOL;)

MacSpecial7 likes this.
  4. MacSpecial7

MacSpecial7 New Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

6. MacSpecial7

MacSpecial7 New Member

I Only agree I’ll never know when, where, what, how or when. THAT was very true and well spoken. I still 50/50 think it’s improper alloy or struck on wrong (Copper) Planchet. (You all see pictures. I see the coin against other unearthed Nickels. It’s different....J/S.) I’m stubborn as heck though. LoL! Always have been.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ok.. Lets see.
    If it were struck on a copper planchet it would of been one intended for a Wheat Cent for that time. Then it would have to be the same width, thickness and weight of a copper planchet. They don't automatically change into a Nickel sized planchet when struck for a Nickel.. Get it? o_O

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    MacSpecial7 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I already explained the reason for that. Different types of soil, clay, dirt and sand.

MacSpecial7 likes this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

What type of data or information do you need to satisfy your stubbornness? Some of the people responding to your post have decades of experience collecting errors and varieties others have been in numismatics for even longer. They are knowledgeable of the minting and die making process and have demonstrated this knowledge numerous times on this forum.

You could help your cause by doing some research on your own and check the coin talk archives. There are numerous posts of metal detecting finds that look like your coin. Look them up and study the characteristics so you can show why your coin is different.

How does the weight of a copper cent planchet compare to your coin? Search for nickels struck on cent planchets and compare the striking characteristics. Search the Coin Talk Archives for improperly annealed coins and compare the color to yours. Do any look like yours? Does the edge appearance match the description that was posted by the leading error authority in US Numismatics?

If you’re going to be stubborn, at least be stubborn in your quest to research information that will help provide a plausible explanation of why your coin is something other than environmental damage.

10. MacSpecial7

MacSpecial7 New Member

I would like to say, First I am in no way trying to insult @paddyman98 Intelligence. I am very aware of how long it takes to be an Expert in this field and That, I am not. I have only been researching coins for 5 years. The other 40 I probably spent countless amounts of rare, valuable coins buying junk. I joined this forum because it is very interesting to me and I do want to learn. I’m “young” in learning and I will from time to time question things. I even questioned my teacher, Who had 65+ years of knowledge. He was always right of course but my stubbornness gets in the way sometimes and I am humble enough to acknowledge and admit that. I am very thankful that my question was answered by a very knowledgeable collector and grateful for the time taken out to help me. I researched this over and over for almost a month now. It was becoming a huge headache....Every Single Time.
    @Oldhoopster Thank you for your sincere legitimate comments. All of which should definitely be considered in becoming a better coin collector and gaining knowledge in an “unknown subject” for me. I am currently researching Environmental Damage to Buffalo Nickels then I will do my work on coins in general.
    I’m sure I will be back (LoL) and possibly annoy you all again with what I believe is something you all know it is not. For that I am sorry. I end this question “Dear 1923 Buffalo Nickel, What Are You?”asked knowing I FINALLY got the real answer. If I truly doubted collectors I wouldn’t be here. It just took time to make my mind believe it. Thank you all so very much for being Patient with me. My husband said he feels bad for you all because he definitely agrees I’m WAY to stubborn.

paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@MacSpecial7 It's fine to be stubborn. I'm that way often but only when I have all my ducks lined up as the saying goes. There are experts here but there are also trolls here who have an answer for everything but are often wrong more than they are correct. The difference, just like learning about coins, is being able to sort them out from the more knowledgeable members. When looking for information on nickels you could also visit Brian Ribar's site @www.briansvarietycoins2.com. He is an valued expert on nickels and is recommended by John Wexler, who is also an expert but sends people to Brian on nickels. I have about 54 years invested in this hobby but do not consider myself an expert, more like a jack of all trades/coins. I know a lot but certainly not everything and am constantly learning and in search of more knowledge. It's much easier to be humble than a know it all or bragger.

MacSpecial7 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

This is exactly why this forum exists, so don't be sorry to ask. It is refreshing to read your responses and know that you can learn from your mistakes and acknowledge when you are mistaken. That's what advances us in this hobby. Good luck.

MacSpecial7 likes this.
  13. JRJordan

JRJordan New Member

[​IMG] found this one on what do you think ?

Draft saved Draft deleted