Dealers: Is it worth it to travel all over the country for shows?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vess1, Aug 22, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well, I am sorry but I will believe Conder since he says he saw the invoices with his own eyes, and other dealers here agree that they also saw it. To say "there is no evidence at all" is to call these men all liars, something I would never do.

I am truly sorry for those who view these posts as union attacks. I for one work at a company with union representation, and I get along quite well with our union. While I am management, I do not view my outlook as antiunion at all. My mother retired with 42 years in the telecommunication union.

This discussion was about Philadelphia, and a scam being perpetrated against dealers there. I don't personally give a rip whether the scammers were unions or not.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

If anyone has been reading about all the conventioning moving out of Chicago's McCormic Center it is based on exactly that. You pull up with your items and only the present Union people can unload your things. Also, only the convention Union workers can set up your stands. Same with when leaving. Many companies have moved to other states due to this. They all say that they are not against the Unions, it's just that a fork lift driver is not the right person to unload glass or other delicate merchandise. Possibly just an excuse but why pay for someone to do what your own people do.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So are you two calling Conder101 a liar or do you think he misunderstood the itemized bill?

In my experience with Drayage companies in Atlantic City is that they charge over $100 per cwt. If the guy had 60 separate cases and was charged for each one, well, do the math.

The PCC Exhibitor Rights clearly states:

LOADING DOCK
    • Exhibitors or any of its fulltime employees may unload their Personally Owned Vehicle (POV)
    from the Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC) loading dock area. The Primary Service
    Contractor will designate areas where exhibitors may load and unload. Parking of vehicles is
    prohibited.

But I promise you that there is nobody at the loading dock policing the enforcement of such rights.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

We're treading far too close to the political line gentleman. Everyone take a deep breath and depart to neutral corners.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Because this has never happened before, right?

Interesting how "greed" is a negative unless the greed is your own.

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Ok, back to the original question, before this thread gets locked. I doubt I’d incur the high cost to attend shows far from my home – even when dealing with the real cost.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Pity.........unsubscribed.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Fair warning.

I have removed what I thought needed removing. There is to be no more discussion on the pros or cons of unions - period. If there is, infractions will be given to those making them.

The subject at hand can be discussed without doing this. Talk about that to your hearts content.

Draft saved Draft deleted