Dealer, Collector, Dealer/Collector?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, May 25, 2019.

?

What would you consider yourself?

1. Dealer, I don't collect

1.5%
  2. Dealer and collector of some

24.2%
  3. Collector, I don't sell much if any

74.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

When I started out, I was an accumulator. It took quite a few years before I feel I truly could be called a collector. I have set up a table at numerous coin shows over the years, but I would never call myself a dealer. Nope, I am a coin collector and that's what I will remain.

Randy Abercrombie and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You just described me as a dealer and a collector. lol

BuffaloHunter and Kentucky like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...it's a slippery slope...

BuffaloHunter and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Well I slid right on in and I'm ok with that. :)

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I’m a hoarder and I admit it. I happily trade away any duplicate coins I have. I’ve sold only a handful of coins, and am considering selling off more to make room for new stuff. I do not consider myself to be in the “dealer category”. I try to limit purchases “just can’t say no” or “I really want that” instead of “I’ll make a quick buck here”. I’ll end up losing money on future sales of my excess stuff (bad purchases). I just pretend it’s money I didn’t have before and try to walk away happy. I also consider bullion purchases/sales to be investment money and keep it separate from my coins hobby.

7. Collecting Nut

I know that hoarder feeling.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too am a collector/hoarder. I have two friends that are dealers. Both tell me they do not mix their business with their personal pleasure. Coins are simply business to them both.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am purely a collector, but I usually sell my coins if I find an upgrade. Dealer? No, it wouldn’t be fun anymore as I would need to make money buying and selling coins.

10. All collectors should sell a coin periodically just to get the experience of it. I think seeing how things feel and work when selling helps when buying. JMO

11. Kentucky

I have heard (seen) many people saying that...or maybe just you several times :) the question it invariably raises in my mind is...where? If I don't sell many, does it make sense to try and sell on flea-bay? Sell to a dealer? Sell on CT? I have sold some recently on a bid board.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  12. Anywhere is fine, but my suggestion is to sell in the venues you buy from as that helps with your direct experience. I mainly collect but have sold on eBay, CT, and at shows.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If I pay table fees for a table at a coin show,vthen for one, two, three days, I am a professional dealer. If I accept money to repair a neighbor's car or paint their kitchen, then I am a professional for that job. If a journeyman plumber fixes his sink is he a professional if he doesn't get paid for the job?

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m a collector who will sell coins I’ve upgraded in my collection.

Magnus87, Theodosius and Kentucky like this.
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

No. You’re just a neighbor who may or may not be qualified.

Professional: engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    John Skelton and Kentucky like this.
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Despite working full-time in another field, and not strictly fitting Doug's definition, I still call myself a dealer.

I have undertaken the following specific actions / expenses in order to be effective in this marketplace:
    • Conducted business transactions exclusively through business-dedicated bank accounts
    • Established a dedicated business office space
    • Filed my business annually with the NH Secretary of State
    • Registered my business trademark with the US Patent & Trademark Office
    • Paid for professional staging and photography of advertising imagery
    • Copyrighted my advertising imagery
    • Paid to erect a professional e-commerce website
    • Subscribed to monthly maintenance of the website
    • Paid annually for dealer's insurance policy
    • Subscribed annually to paid business periodicals and memberships
    • Offered for resale every coin purchased by the business
    • Filed and paid my tax liability to the IRS annually
    Moreover, I spend between 24 and 32 hours weekly carrying out my normal business activities.

I think the foregoing actions go a long way toward differentiating ToughCOINS from vest-pocket dealer status.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    coinzip, Mainebill, buckeye73 and 4 others like this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think what @ToughCOINS properly described is a professional dealer. I am still conjuring up what I believe my ideal definition of a dealer is, but I’ve met quite a few who don’t do half of those things but make their money selling coins. Some I am unsure ignore they pay their taxes. I think this definition represents the steps we would hope a professional dealer would take, but that not all dealers do.

buckeye73 and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Yup, that's front-pants-pocket or better!! :)

19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm unfamiliar with that expression. What does it mean?

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

I think so understand but with me it's simple: Left front pants pocket is spend
    Right front pants pocket is keep
    Wallet: Front is keep and Back is spend.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uhhh, if I were you I'd consider the source Mike :D Pretty sure it's nothing more than a play on words - a joke :)

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted