Ddo?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coop76, Feb 24, 2020.

?

Is this a ddo or just a standard penny i would love your input, i am aware ut not the highly sought

1. Yes it looks to be doubled but doesnt match the highly sought after 69s ddo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No it a regualar strike penny

100.0%
  3. Looks like it could be send it in and see if it makes the grade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Coop76

Coop76 New Member

I was sold this coin as a ddo but maybe i got burned it is obviously not thee 69s highly sought after but it sure looked doubled to me when I purchased it, and actually it was a bid got dropped on me I was only dummy to bid I honestly thought i would have started A bidding war and the only war i started was with my spouse and how i spent $100 for a .01 penny, as embarrising as it it is could i get your input as to what i got or dont got. Lol

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Waste of money.. Can you get a refund?

Any slight doubling could be just MD - Mechanical Doubling which is worthless doubling :yack:

steve westermeier and Lawtoad like this.
  4. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. I do not see any doubling. It is certainly not the big doubled Die variety (DDO-001) that everyone is always talking about. Check out Wexler's website against your coin.

https://www.doubleddie.com/314201.html

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

get a refund.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Try for the refund as it's not a DDO.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just to reaffirm the above, no, it is not a doubled die. As for the poll, no, do not send it in for an additional cost of $30.00 or so. If you can get a refund, do so. If you have removed it from it's original holder or 2X2 you may be stuck with it. Check the listing again to see what the seller said about returns.

Martha Lynn and Collecting Nut like this.
  8. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

That is a down right shame. I did a little checking on " caveat emptor". Merriam Webster states " the principle that a buyer needs a warranty to avoid risk remains an important legal concept".
    The buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before purchase is made.
    I don't know if the seller declares a warranty where you made purchase. They may have an out by simply claiming they truly believed it be as advertised. I am not an attorney so take this with a grain of salt. Next step is to see if they have that warranty. BEST of luck.

capthank likes this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Yes. Hopefully you can get a refund. But it’s not the end of the world. Stings for sure. Lesson learned.

10. Martha Lynn

What is sad is that a seller who dirty deals knows that a person isn't going to pay an attorney 7 or 8 hundred bucks to recover a hundred. Nor will they go to small claims court if that purchase was made several states away from where buyer lives. This IRKS me awful for you.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

don't peruse the website etsy ... you'd get institutionally committed by comparison if this "irks you awful"

Martha Lynn and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. Martha Lynn

Probably right. I haven't been on Ebay for maybe 15 years. Never even visited etsy.

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Etsy is just absolutely ludicrous!
    They will list any 1969 Cent and call it a Rare DDO and try to sell for $50,000 :banghead:

They will list any coin and call it rare to also try and sell for thousands. Etsy is the worst!

yartiques and tommyc03 like this.
  14. Martha Lynn

I'll take your word for it Paddyman because you seem like an honest broker of information. I here by solemnly swear to never visit etsy.

Lawtoad, furryfrog02 and paddyman98 like this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's a popcorn moment Martha. Just sit back and enjoy the lunacy going on there. At least once for the fun of it.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Ouch. At least you are only out $100. Could've been a lot worse. Take it as a learning experience.

17. Clawcoins

by the way, if you do your research FIRST and be "unbiased" (this is the hardest for people as they *desire* to be finding something that everyone else has over looked, because, well, there is no good explanation for this other than people think they are smarter than every one else).
    • It was discovered in 1970.
    • It was estimated that approximately 100 of these reached circulation.
    • So far, 50 years for the collectors to find them.
    • The last time one was found was in 2010 which was from a roll saved from decades earlier.
    • and 2007 when a roll was sold at a high end coin dealer, from an estate which contained one example.
    • Thus your odds are close to, if not, nill to find one in pocket change.
    Looking at an example it would look like this:
    upload_2020-2-24_15-5-23.png

• Ignore the Date as you are not experienced enough to visually tell the difference yet.
    • Look at the shift if the IN GOD WE TRUST. each letter is clearly overlapped with a second letter.
    • Look a rotation of LIBERTY which is closer at the Y and is more rotated/spread at the L as the second letter overlaps the first and separates more the closer you get to the edge.
    • The rotation is like a bicycle wheel rotating - slower/less in the middle and more/faster on the outer edge.
    That cent you posted looks nothing like the above.

The last time one of these sold it went for over $85,000 (from my quick check).
    So losing $100 isn't bad considering ...

18. Martha Lynn

Outstanding photo examples Clawcoins. In they will go into my examples research file for comparisons.

19. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

If you paid for it with a credit card or Pay Pal file a claim, "Deception" can't hurt to try.
    Good Luck

20. Clawcoins

This is interesting.
    The OP posts this then leaves and never returns to respond. Paddyman responded at 12:51pm after OP was "last seen."
    I would hope they at least saw the responses without logging in and got a Refund.
    ============
    upload_2020-2-28_9-20-0.png
    ============

To see true travesty .. look at this ... https://www.etsy.com/market/double_die_cent

21. Martha Lynn

If the OP thought he was going to purchase a coin worth thousands of dollars for one hundred dollars then perhaps he was out huckstered. Could be a lesson in there. If it seems to good to be true then perhaps it's not.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted