DDO or double strike?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John Skelton, Sep 4, 2020.

1. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I recently took a coin I'd bought that was labeled DDO to my LCS dealer and asked him to check it for me.

He looked at it and said it was a strike double. I guess I should have asked him what the difference was, but I didn't, so here I am. How can you tell the difference? It seems like there are many types of doubling, machine, doubled die, and now strike?

I might also take it to a coin show for more opinions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

John Conduitt likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

FYI.. Just because they run a coin shop does not mean they know about mint errors or varieties. Many don't.

You need to post a picture of the coin in question.

Die Deterioration doubling and Mechanical doubling is considered worthless doubling and they have nothing at all to do with true Doubled Die varieties.
    Do not put the first 2 in the same category as a Doubled Die.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. paddyman98

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In all my years and all the LCS's that I've been to, only 1 of them knew retaliation errors. The rest were their best guess and that was usually wrong.

7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Why not? Aren't they all a form of doubling? I mean, they do have some form of the word double in them.

And I would have posted a picture of the coin if I had asked about it. But I was asking about different types of doubling.

8. paddyman98

Nope..
    Doubled Die is true Hub Doubling when the hub is doubled

Machine and Die Deterioration doubling has nothing to do with a Doubled Die so they are a separate issue. That has been established for decades.

9. paddyman98

Not true..
    The correct numismatic terminology is Doubled Die..
    Used only for the Doubled Die variety.

Mechanical doubling and Deterioration doubling don't even use the word doubled.

Double is only used for double struck coins. Now that's a totally different issue ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted