DDO 2003 Missouri State Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CDW, May 2, 2018.

1. CDW

CDW Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CDW

CDW Active Member

4. CDW

CDW Active Member

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a Worn Die Strike.
    Die Deterioration Doubling IMO

6. CDW

CDW Active Member

It is doubling of some sort lol and I’m excited about it finally found one. Thank you for the info!!!

7. Wheels

Wheels Active Member

is there an issue with the rim or is it the picture?

8. CDW

CDW Active Member

There is some sort of raised area on the rim you are right. It is not the picture

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Paddyman is correct. It is die deterioration that I have seen in the photos. Give an example or repost the image that shows a doubed die to you. Jim

10. CDW

CDW Active Member

1AFC05D0-06DC-481B-827A-0112789E441A.jpeg You see
    Do you see the outline underneath “Dollar”? It is around almost every letter on the obverse.

11. CDW

CDW Active Member

It looks like some sort of doubling. It is not reflection, that has fooled me before. And you can see it without magnification.

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yes, its called die deterioration doubling, as stated, considered worthless doubling, not a true doubled die....

13. CDW

CDW Active Member

Ok yea I believed paddyman when he said it the first time just thought you were saying it was just deterioration. And doesn’t matter to me If it is worthless sir wouldn’t sell it if it had worth anyway.
    Thanks for the info. Was just excited to find something new for me. The quest continues

SlipperySocks likes this.
  14. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Looks like you may have a small rim cud under the R of DOLLAR unless it is a ding from being dropped. As for the doubling you think you are seeing I am afraid it is not so. I see it pretty often on quarters and suspect it has something to do with the flow of metal during the strike of the coin that causes an enlarged shadow of the lettering which could be die deterioration like the others have said. You are paying real close attention to your coins which is good. Keep it up and you will find some cool stuff like spitting horses and leaky buckets. Get the cherry pickers guide if you don't have one already. It helped me out a bunch.

CDW likes this.
  15. CDW

CDW Active Member

Thanks for the tip I will do that. Yes I’m kind of obsessed now lol leaky bucket havnt heard of that one. Would that be in a quarter?

16. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

20180503_102322-1.jpg

Yes, if you look closely under the bucket there is a die chip that makes it look like there is water puddled under it. There are lots of minor varieties like this not listed in any books yet that are in the state quarter series. Not very valuable but loads of fun to find especially for us newbies. jbcoinsinc on U-tube has several videos out on the minor things and gives lists of things you can look for. There are also lots of die cracks and clashes to be found besides the high value errors in the washington quarter series too.

17. CDW

CDW Active Member

That’s cool one of the first errors I found was a die chip on a Wyoming quarter I will post a picture. And I think I found another small one last night.

18. CDW

CDW Active Member

AF930EFD-0A3B-4B09-8DAA-8AE74BBD75B8.jpeg 7F55A504-894C-4786-99E0-272A58D34451.jpeg

SlipperySocks likes this.
  19. CDW

CDW Active Member

20. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

To answer your question about the doubling - No, it's die deterioration doubling, or DDD. DDD does not make the coin have any value above face value.

Yes, that's most likely a die chip.

CDW likes this.
  21. CDW

CDW Active Member

Thank you. I really don’t care if it is valuable or not I enjoy finding the errors that’s enough of a reward for me lol I’m just excited to find any sort of doubling. Are you talking about the Idaho or the Wyoming?

Draft saved Draft deleted