ddddd ex-Soviet nations set - Ukraine

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ddddd, Nov 24, 2021.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

And now for another installment in my quest to complete a set of silver coins from all the former Soviet nations.

This coin features Ukrainian traditional clothing, known as "vyshyvanka" (embroidered shirt). One side shows a girl embroidering cloth and the other is a colorful fragment of the cloth. This color is done via a hologram-while that can be tacky on certain coins, here it works well. I've had this coin for a while now but only got around to posting now; it was bought when the Ukrainian Mint sent representatives to a Rosemont (IL) ANA show (it was either the 2014 or 2015 show and I'm leaning towards it being 2014). I sent it to NGC several years ago along with some other moderns and it graded PF 69 UCAM. I just noticed today that NGC misspelled "Ukrainian" as "Ukranian" on the label, so I can also add it to my error label set. :p

Country Ukraine
    Denomination 10 Hryven
    Year 2013
    Subject Ukrainian Heritage
    Composition Silver 0.925
    Weight (gr) 33.74
    Diameter (mm) 38.6
    Mintage 5,000
    Mint Ukrainian Mint

13843E0E-7F51-4482-A348-A5E10BF431AB.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice design. I thought the hologram was a snowflake at first glance, before reading the label and seeing the embroidery work in progress on the reverse. I also like the quasi-medieval style of the design there.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I was previously unfamiliar with this type. It’s the sort of thing I’d have happily included in my own Eclectic Box collection.

mlov43 and ddddd like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks!
    Now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance to a snowflake.

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

What a magnificent coin! As a Ukie, I am proud of that issue. It is fabulous!

KSorbo, lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted