ddddd ex-Soviet nations set - Moldova

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ddddd, Mar 27, 2022.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

After a brief pause, the ex-Soviet nations set continues with Moldova. I've filled some of the "easier" spots, so now it is becoming more of a challenge to find the rest. My original goal was all silver coins and graded. This example is silver but not graded. Silver coins from Moldova are fairly scarce in PCGS and NGC holders; the few out there either didn't appeal to me or were more that I wanted to spend. At some point I might send it in myself or will just shift the rules to include raw. As for the coin itself, it's part of Moldova's "Red Book" series; it features an otter on one side and the coat of arms on the other (common among many coins from Moldova).

Country Moldova
    Denomination 50 Lei
    Year 2012
    Subject Red Book (of animals)
    Composition Silver 0.999
    Weight (gr) 16.5
    Diameter (mm) 30
    Mintage 1,000
    Mint issued by the National Bank of Moldova (likely made by the State Mint in Romania)

5ED37763-F3E3-4B51-9919-49EB586B944A.jpeg A87FA819-EDB8-4138-87ED-C7E38571EC7F.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

ddddd likes this.
  5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

ddddd likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Cats are pretty awesome. :D
    The disputed territories subset has a heavy dose of cats. When I find those with cats at a fair price, I pick them up.

You're welcome!

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

You didn't ask, but here's mine from Moldova. Also I have these others from Transnistria, which I believe is in Moldova. 2015 moldova 50 lei.jpg 2015 transnistria 10 rubles.jpg 2020 transnistria 5 rubles.jpg

ddddd likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Hiddendragon and others, feel free to post your own examples on my threads (I don’t mind and enjoy seeing other examples).

The first coin you posted is from Moldova and also from the same Red Book series. The other two are Transnistria (which is inside Moldova but considers itself independent-they lean towards Russia). I purchased one of those Bear coins but later sold it. It’s very cool but I decided to spend the funds elsewhere (and stick to base metal coins for my disputed territories subset).

Draft saved Draft deleted